1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 V-Strom buy

Discussion in 'General' started by 70yamahaR5, Sep 9, 2014.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yep bikes with little to no fairing/windshield are the smoothest bikes. Least turbulent bike I have ever owned was a Bking. Anything below 80 mph was great, anything above 80 mph and it felt like my helmet was going to rip my head off. :eek:

2. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

Bought the bike in Crossville. Much obliged for everyone's input. Rides beautifully in the mountain roads here near Tellico Plains. Tall bike, especially with the Sargent barstool seat. Very comfy but I tiptoe at stops, even at 6'1".

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Since you're there, be sure to take the road from Tellico Plains to Robbinsville.

You'll be glad you did.

4. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

So is yours the 1000 or 650?

I ask because I sat on a 650 and was surprised I could flat-foot it (I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam); I'd heard the Stroms were tallish.

5. 70yamahaR5

Its' the 1000. The Sargent seat is squared off versus the rounded stock seat, greatly increasing the reach to ground.

I've never had a bike with triple hard cases (or any hard cases for that matter). Looking forward to all that storage space on trips.

Thanks, BSA43 for the road tip. There is a lot of great riding in this area.

Now there's a beautiful wee-vee in Lebanon TN for a great price. Isn't that always the way? Spend months looking for the right bike and the day after you buy a nicer one pops up. No worries, I think the 1000 will suit us better.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Or you could get a Kawi Versys, lighter, handles better and comes in green. :D

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Congrats. You didn't mention if you'd be doing a lot of 2-up riding...the 650 is a bit wheezy for that.

8. 70yamahaR5

I like the Kaw, but am not a big fan of parallel twins. I'm sure it's a nice bike, though...even in green.

Yes, two-up riding is the plan, plus junk in the Givi trunks.

Correction: it's a Corbin seat, not Sargent. (My apologies to Sargent.)

I'll be reinstalling the stock pipes if anyone wants the aftermarket louder ones (aka, "For off road use only."). They are in very good shape and sound great, but I want a quiet bike. Send PM.

9. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014