04-05 GSXR 750 STVA limp vs clutch switch

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nokturnal, Aug 16, 2014.

1. nokturnal

nokturnal Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a new steed on the cheap. I am currently going through it and fixing previous bodge jobs.

My secondary butterflies have been removed dt the c28 code. I knew this before riding it at its first track day. I did not anticipate being pulled on the straights by a cbr f4 street bike though...

I then figured out that my clutch switch had been removed and wires twisted together. This has now been fixed.

Will I still be down the same on topend power while throwing the C28? Or was it just the switch?

Thx

2. Cajun

Cajun North of Phillip Island

3. nokturnal

Yep. I know.

The shaft has been removed/broken off. Apparently I will still get the code even if the unit is fixed (as told by the person you mentioned).

Still would like to know the effect of the code on the bike is the valves are out. I guess I'll find out.

4. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

There are 4 pins in that plug, each are paired together making a loop in each. When the solder breaks inside the STVA it breaks one of the loops throwing the code. I've had the theory since I fixed the one on my 04 that you could take two wires and add in resistors to match the resistance from the STVA and just make a jumper plug for the wiring harness, clearing the code.

5. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

In my experience, the bike will loose a little bit of power down low but there shouldn't be any gains or losses up top. I was at a track day when mine failed so I pushed them open and rode it the rest of the day, with the code on of course but it was completely rideable.

6. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

If you want a set of complete OEM throttle bodies with the STVA already repaired and working, let me know. I know someone that might still have them.

7. weinerk

weinerk Well-Known Member

If it's throwing the code, it's putting you in limp mode.

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The limp mode will limit RPM above 2nd gear.

I've had to fix mine twice. The first time it just lost power down low, but ran OK.
    The second time, it would limp once I got into 3rd gear.

I added some short wires into the solder to hopefully keep the solder from breaking again.

9. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Have you removed the butterfly's for the STVA throttle bodies? I removed the butterfly's and shaft and left a working sensor hooked up the motor was broken and it ran fine with no codes.

10. nokturnal

Thanks

Yep. That's what I have. Will get my STVA fixed over the winter to avoid downtime. Thx

-----

Interestingly, my bike was pulling into the red, I was shifting at 13k or so. Was just a bit down on speed it seemed

11. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

If you remove the secondaries on a 600 or a 750 if it's a race bike you will suffer a noticeable difference in the mid range.

I lost the secondaries on my 04 at Vir the worst weekend ever, I removed them even after going back and re tuning the bike it's still a noticeable difference

12. weinerk

weinerk Well-Known Member

I think I still have a spare one kicking around. If needed, let me know.