Personal home defense, your first choice?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Aug 13, 2014.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

So you are awakened in bed at 3am by someone trying to break in or some such. What is your choice of weapon to pursue the evil-doer? Pacifist need not apply!

Used to have at arm's reach my Colt 1911 45ACP semi-auto. But being as it is a single action, not easily fired by the wife, I have my S&W Model 19 357mag revolver at hand. Close by is the Remington 870 pump with the 18" barrel and mag extension. Just chambering a 3" mag round with the pump is a pretty good deterrent.

One thing I really like about my 45 tho is that with 185 grain Hp rounds I use combined with the slow velocity, these bad boys usually stay in the perp instead of passing through walls and such. Not to mention the knockdown power of the 45. Maybe I'll get the wife to the range...

So what's your choice? And yes, I was at RRR when the dude was defending with the screwdriver.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Only noise I wanna hear is BOOM!

[​IMG]

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you ever fire that .45 or .357 without hearing protection?
    A simple hammerless revolver or a small 9mm with 7-9 rounds should be sufficient for a beginning shooter like a keltec or ruger.

4. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Pumping a shotgun a deterrent? Knockdown power? LOL

I guess you've been reading too many articles in SWAT magazine versus going out there and getting good training.

5. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Before I lost the few weapons I had in a terrible boating accident I'd have grabbed my old 5" Tactical XD45 with light/laser combo while the wife pumped the first of 5 00 Buck rounds in to the former Mossberg 500 w pressure switch operated light and Shock reducing, pistol grip, adjustable stock.
    At that point it's game on!

Man I miss those guns... :-(

6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Sig Sauer P220. Night sites and hollow points. One in the chamber at all times because an unloaded firearm is a useless firearm. Double action on the first pull, 4lb trigger single on the next 7.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

1st line of defense
    [​IMG]

If they've still got any fight left in 'em I have a G22 with a light mounted on it.

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If I am awakened at 3am it will be by the sound of some sorry bastard trying to get my dog's teeth out of his ass. If he doesn't run away, I have an exposed hammer .410 double for the wife. I can leave it loaded with buckshot with the hammers down so that an accidental discharge is highly unlikely. She simply has to cock the hammers and point. No real skill required. I love my 1911, but inside the house I would probably grab the PPK from the nightstand.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

A big dog.

And anyone who thinks a pistol has "knockdown power" hasn't shot anything with one. But they should deter your average criminal well enough with a few shots.

What I really want to know is what you have in case of zombie invasions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  10. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Well my man, when a bad guy is about to harm you or your family, I personally could give a shit about my hearing. I'm taking life or death in a matter of seconds. Ever been there? I have and I am still here to tell you about it. A hammerless revolver is a backup, not a primary defense weapon. 38 ain't no stopper. And because the trigger pull is so great on any revolver not cocked, hammerless revolvers should never be a first choice. Trigger pull is usually lightened on any handgun used seriously. Heavy trigger pull = hard to stay on target.

Damn dude, didn't know I was asking for laughter from an 'expert'. Guarantee I will get your attention when I chamber a #4 shot round in my 870. Yes it will knock you on your ass no matter where I hit you.
    And sir expert, I used to compete in IPSC in Florida. Look it up expert. Qualified expert on the 9mil in the Army of which I served for 20 years. So instead of showing your dick trying to make me look a foo, look in the mirror homeboy.
    As can happen on the forum, I asked for opinions and get assassinations.

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

If you were to shoot in combat matches you would recognize this immediately: usually the run ends with you knocking down a heavy metal plate. The 9mil makes it rattle but the 45 takes it down every time. And I am an anyone and I have knocked down lot of stuff with my 45acp. Have you even fired one?

12. orientexpress11

I believe Jeff Cooper said it best and it seemingly applies here.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

13. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

G26, small with a high round capacity (11) no weight issues, no pump this and that....no bs dramatics....point and click accordingly

14. My first choice is not to be home.

15. orientexpress11

LOL. I thought the purpose of shooting someone was to immediately incapacitate them and not knock them on their ass. I guess I had it all wrong from the get go....

16. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

the perp won't know if you chamber #4, #3, #7 or salt shots.

If he is smart he'll unchamber his own #2 while running the opposite direction before finding out.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

"If"? I've trained, carried and shot competitively probably a hundred thousand rounds of just about every caliber. A few of those training courses were taught by some guy named Larry Vickers, who may know a thing or two about the subject. Even asked him point blank about what caliber was ideal for carry in his opinion. His answer was 9mm. Despite being a very well regarded 1911 smith and enthusiast of the platform. His actual carry pieces are usually a Glock or an HK in 9mm. And if you bring up "Knockdown power" to him, Ken Hackathorn or any other well regarded instructor they will laugh their asses off.

But hey, I bow to your tacticool. Carry on.

18. I lurv the hand cannon Neanderthals. One hit with a .22 beats 8 misses with a .45.

19. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

3 territorial dogs roaming free outside the house

Ruger P90 45acp next to the night stand loaded with Corbon +P 165gr pushing 1250fps. 18" Browning police 12 ga in the closet with #4 buck. These are the 2 main-always there-HD weapons.

Otherwise, currently..2x 1911s next to me in the PC/man cave(we have no young'n in the house), both with Underwood +P 200gr Gold Dots running 1120ish fps.

10.5" AR15 in the nearby closet with 2 side by side attached mags.

I shoot 4-5 times on average per week here at the house. Have an 85 yard range with shooting table, several silhouettes I play around with, etc. Yes its awesome to be able to do so.

I'm good.

Having said all that, we don't even lock our doors. Keys are in the cars unlocked.

The end.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um you asked the question like the piece was for your S/O, not billy badass paper target murderer. :D

Im glad you dont give a shit about your hearing... just a proposition some dont consider when firing a large marge defense weapon in a "contained area". ;)