1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitewater rafting

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

21 years ago my girlfriend (now wife) suggested we go rafting with friends. I said "no way; too dangerous". She laughed, as she had just gotten back from the spring CCS races at Daytona with me. She told me if I can race at Daytona a little rafting would be easy. I held my ground until this morning. Eight minutes in we flip, she sinks in 48 degree water. Half an hour later she tells me she likes Daytona better.

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ winning!

Ski

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had to perform water rescues in tropical storms and that never bothered me a bit, but I have no desire to go white water rafting.

Thank you for confirming my choice.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm gonna make some racist comments in this thread later.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid::crackup:

6. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

If there is an option, ill try Blackwater before I go back to white!

7. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

White water rafting is the BEST. I've done the Upper Gauley in WV - one the the best places for WWR in the eastern states with 5 class 5+ rapids - and have had a blast each time. Sometimes falling out of the raft is the most exciting ride.

8. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Where did this epic tragedy occur? Please don't tell me you wiped out on the mighty Nantahala.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Like motorcycle racing where if I crash it's usually my fault, I prefer a kayak. Rafts are good for carrying food and camping gear. :)

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Went WWR with the Army's Golden Knights in WV when they came on a recruiting tour to Beckley to help our Recruiting Battalion. I knew we were in trouble when the first thing they off loaded from their Caribou was a giant ice chest of beer... that took four guys to carry it. They were just a bit crazy...

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Kev, where did you go? Will you have to go to the dark (gay) side now? NTTAWWT

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

FYI for you Atlanta folks. Here in Columbus (GA) they have tore down the damn dams on the hooch and built up a great in city whitewater course. Sure it ain't the Snake River but it is pretty damn good with different level courses. A good day and about a 2 hr in the water run.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  13. styles

styles The untrained eye

I used to go every year with a group of regulars out in PA on the Youghiogheny River. Had a blast every time. Then one year we flipped on "Dimples" and my bud thought he lost his fiance. That was the last year we went.

14. styles

styles The untrained eye

Shoot I think we all got messed up on that flip. My knees were bloodied and bruised. Another guy went face first into a rock and smashed his nose pretty good. Someone else had a huge bruise on their back.

15. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

That water temp does indeed sound lke the Nanty river here near Bryson. I'm just a few miles from there and kayak it sometimes 2-3 days weekly. Coldest river I've ever been on, and I've been on many. Good to do mid day when its hotest..right after your early morning mtn ride over at Tsali..and before that later afternoon supermoto jaunt on some local back roads. Not a bad gig.

I sometimes work as a bicycle mechanic at the NOC. As well as 2 stepsons teach kayak instruction/work in the retail store/kayak compete at the highest level. Wife works there also when not teaching school. So we're always around/in that river. Its friggin cold tho lol.

Rafts are pretty boring tho on it. Altho they are good when on bigger water(class 4->) which theres several of those close by as well.

16. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

I did the Yough when I was a kid, and did the lower Ocoee a few times, I love it! There's some good deals sometimes on groupon for the Ocoee River, I think it was only $25 per peson with adventures unlimited.

If you ever get the chance, ride the bull! Everyone gets in the back and you sit on the nose with your legs dangling, it definitely enhances the experience!

17. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

But a few degrees warmer in the winter.
    I lived there for 3-4 years and loved every minute of it.
    Still miss boating everyday.
    Who are you?
    I lived in a van at TR Yon's dad peanut stand for a while before moving to wesser creek.

18. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Upper Nanny last weekend.

[​IMG]

19. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

So you lived in a van down by the river? Sorry, couldn't resist.

That stand closed didn't it(the one I'm thinking of is down river and across from Fast Rivers)?

My stepsons are Brad and Ty Caldwell(works for and sponsored by Astral), both working at the NOC. Both have full rides with Pyranha, Werner, etc. All free gear, boats, travel exps, "some" pay, etc. Go to Chili, paddle and often race on the Green, Cheoah, Upper Nanty at flood stage, self supported(out of their boats. no rafts) trips down the Grand Canyon, World Playboat comp, crazy creek boaters, bla bla. Waaaay WAAAAAY better then I am. I'm just a Nanty shredder haha but I have a good time.

What Ty was doing yesterday up in Canada. Took it off his FB just now. Hes holding the paddle/GoPro(also a sponsor). Thats some big arse water:beer:.
    [​IMG]

He's on this yrs brochure
    [​IMG]
    Moose River in NY.
    [​IMG]

The Green.
    [​IMG]

3rd recently at the Green River Games. Successful Deck Splat.
    [​IMG]

20. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

One more of Ty. At the Green River Rodeo Games again. He was 3rd. Hes number 53 front center. He has a tough life.
    [​IMG]