1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBR600 won't start

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rising, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

A friend has an 09 CBR600; it's all stock no PC or pipe or anything.
    He rode it home one day and everything was running fine. He parked it in his driveway and then came out a couple hours later to pull it into his garage and it wouldn't start. Engine is turning over but won't start.
    He's checked fuses, fuel, pulled plugs and confirmed he's getting spark. He said when he cycles the kill switch that the fuel pump runs like it is supposed to. He's at a bit of a loss.
    The next thing he's going to look at is the cam position sensor. Is there an easy way to check that?

Thanks,

2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Check the kickstand switch, clutch switch, and bank angle sensor too.

3. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

The kill switch itself fails. Thats why they are cheap NEW OEM. Just a guess

4. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

if it was the bank angle sensor the fuel pump wouldnt prime.
    if it was the killswitch, the engine wouldnt turn over.
    Can you smell gas from the exhaust when cranking it (fuel not igniting)?
    Seems inexplicable to ride it, park it and a few hours later have no compression, though possible. Check it anways since you've already checked spark and Im assuming that when you checked for spark you checked for gas.

5. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Question... did he fill up with fuel along the ride..? Could be bad fuel.. Worth a check. In years past, on rare occasion the darn gas trucks have accidently put diesel in the unleaded tank, or, the darn refinery has done that as well. Oh and little old ladies have been known to use the "Green" pump to be environmentally friendly...
    Good Luck..
    Ron

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Tangent

About 5 years ago, I screwed up and put gas in my diesel truck. Right as I got to the pump, a customer called my cell and I went into automatic mode and grabbed the gas pump. Had about 1/4 tank in it and I filled it up with unleaded. Ran fine for the 25 miles to my office and then out to lunch. Went to start up after lunch and it cranked for awhile but fired up. Went to start to go home and it wouldn't start.

Had it towed and they discovered my stupidity. I was shocked and had to look at my receipt to see it said unleaded. Then I was worried it would screw up the motor/pump etc. The dealer said they get a few every week and it won't harm anything. Expensive mistake, I think they got me for about $500.

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah, hows about putting the ACTUAL gas on a green noozle!?!? And the gas on a black one!? When i was going to RA I stopped in Mobile at a BP (green is their color I know) Grabbed the black one and was like hmmph.. It won't fit... That's weird as hell, I looked back at the pump and it said Diesel. Whew!!!! That was close!!

See if you buddy can swap parts out. ECU and stuff like that. Shit does just go bad. Even on a Honda

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I think Hondas will still crank with the kill switch off but the fuel pump wouldn't prime. I'll tell him to see if he can smell gas.

That's a good idea. I'll ask.

I don't think he knows anyone else that owns one. That is the pain of trying to trouble shoot electrical issues.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

9. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

I'm going with kill switch or FUSE!!!! BEt thats it for sure!

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The bike is running again. I'm not exactly sure what was wrong.
    My friend pulled the plugs and checked spark, he had spark. Installed new plugs while he was at it.
    Then he inspected the cam position sensor. He said it had a build up of metal/oil sludge on it. He cleaned it off and when he put everything back together it started.
    Since he had spark before cleaning the cam position sensor it doesn't really seem likely to me that is what the issue was. But maybe the timing of the spark was off which is why it wouldn't start (doesn't seem likely).
    I'm thinking he had the kill switch off and just doesn't what to admit it.