a production car as fast as a bike????

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Dec 14, 2003.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So glad I signed off yesterday before Dan turned this to shit (i.e. "I don't know what to buy...") again.

Brad, nobody said a Z06 is slow. It's a helluva car. A lot of people who like Euro or Japanese cars simply appreciate technology with their performance. There is nothing impressive with 400 hp when you have 5.7 liters to get them out.

2. LonnieM

LonnieM Well-Known Member

'
    That's why the 300hp, 300ft pounds of torque out of a 4 cylinder 2.5 liter motor is awesome, go test drive one, all I can say after I test drove one is I came home with one!! :) All wheel drive STI Subaru is a blast.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

LonnieM, as nice as the Subaru STi is...300HP out of 2.5 liters isn't exactly mind numbing. The S2000 makes almost as much out of 2 lites in NA trim. On top of that the Subaru is not the "best bang for the buck". That honor has to go to the Corvette or the new 390HP Cobra. If you put an additional $5000 in that Cobra, you'll have over 500BHP. Now that's a bang for the buck, and that is what makes american muscule cars so awesome.

Mkayyyyyy??? ;)

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So long as the road is straight, smooth, dry and gas is only $2/gal, no argument. :D

5. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Last I checked, 300 from 2.5 = 600 from 5.0.... Not bad.

S2000 makes a *whopping* 163 Ft Lbs of torque - with the new 2.2L motor. Lame.

Best bang for the buck is the Neon SRT4. :cool:

6. 418

418 Expert #59

You're stuck in the old cliche of "American cars don't handle"... The Cobra is a fine handeling car...or so I've heard, and the Corvette has been hailed the best handeling car in the world. :Poke:

That's 600 turbocharged BHP. Not bad, but nothing to write home about either. As for the S2000, to get that 240BHP they had to go with a high revving short stroke engine. Which just kills the torque...

You put a turbo on a S2000 and you'd have a STi killer. :D

...and Dodge sucks ass. :Poke:

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How long can a Z06 last at 9,000 rpm? Apples and oranges.

Torque comes virtually free with displacement. And without turbo or supercharger, it's also somewhat limited limited by disp.
    HP, on the hand, can be found in a small motor with good engineering.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A Focus SVT would beat a Cobra on a wet mountain road. And the Subaru driver would sip coffee waiting for them at the top.:)

Who said the Z06 is best handler? A US publication? Did the test include the STi, Evo Vll, Elise, F50, Enzo, GT3, McLaren F1 and others? Or did it define "world" as Viper/Stang/Vette? Did it include more than slalom and skidpad?

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But it's a Neon!!!! How you going to pick up chicks in Neon? And the ones you do pick up, you don't want. :D

10. 418

418 Expert #59

You're comparing apples to oranges, Papa. If we're talking about a race track situation or better yet an twisty dry mountian road, the Cobra would win. There is nothing better than torque on a unknown back road. :)

"Best handeling" as in..."best balanced" car. Not the fastest. And obviously they didn't include the Elise or the McLaren F1 since they are not avaliable on US soil {legally}. As for the STi and EvoVII, four wheel drive cars are notorious for being shitty handeling cars. So that counts them out. As for the F50 or Enzo, you'd be hard pressed to call them street cars. Nice spin Papa, but either way you cut it Corvette is an excellent performance car. ...and I haven't mentioned the 2000 CobraR yet...

You remind me of my brother-in-law, Papa. There is always a conspiracy theory when it comes to Americans. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

who the fuck drives insane on a wet mountain road? :D

12. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

I would have to say the best motor I have seen put into a production car is the LT-5. I know of several that have gone well over 200,000 miles with 0 maintenance even though a few of them have logged a ton of track miles. I seem to recall a mostly stock ZR-1 taking the endurance records also that had stood for a long time. (They have since been broken but not by a production vehicle.)

13. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

Anyone that owns an all-wheel drive car. You should try it sometime, it's fun. :D (I had the Subaru 2.5RS which has a somewhat anemic motor but it was still a lot of fun in the wet and even more fun in the snow.)

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yeah, i'd bet that barrel roll off a cliff is a blast. :D

15. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I'm so tired of the OHV being old technology arguement. DOHC was around in the 30-40's as well. Does that make them old technology?

OHV vs OHC each have their distinct advantages and disadvantages. OHC small displacement require "tricks" Variable valve timing....etc to produce nice amounts of power.

Want to talk about a superior engine technology. What about the rotary. In concept it provides a power stroke every time and has no wasted motion. It is always providing power and never stopping...starting.....over and over again. If more companies had adopted it earlier and spent money developing it, I truly believe we'd see a lot more of them in cars today.

As said earlier, who cares how the car gets there? If you're looking for performance, its who gets there first. I truly believe the Z06 is THE BEST car in that category for a resonable sum. The RX7 (93+) was considered by many to be the handling standard for many years. It dominated its SCCA class until the C5 Z06 came out.

Also about gas milage. My Dad gets 30+ MPG in his Lingenfelter modified C5 with a manual tranny at 80+ MPH. So gas milage is not an issue anymore.

16. LonnieM

LonnieM Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that Cobra would never get the HP down to the ground like the AWD cars would, that's what makes the Subaru such a fast 0-60 car, I could get 500HP out of that car easily, be a daily driver, and kick the corvette home to it's mama. I'm telling you with the upgraded springs I have put on the car it would give the vette a run for it''s money in the curves! All these cars everyone is mentioning are great cars! Just personal preference, just like motorcycles!

17. fastbydrmike

fastbydrmike Well-Known Member

mad brad, I have a 02 M5 which daily I whoop up on Z06's. Now that may be b/c they can't drive but the new M5 has a V10 with 500 HP. I am not sure of the torque but 0-60 in 3.9 seconds with my kids in the back seat.

I just sold a 911 and a 930(turbo 911) that I would take out just to look for sport bikes to race on a saturday.

The good thing about German engineering is the quality of the work. The motors are bullet proof.

Mike

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yawn. and still stuck with a german car. to each his own. i'll keep the rip snortin' V8's thanks.

i doubt you succesfully "hunted" 600's much less the R1's and gixxer 1K's.

but when you're ready, i got a ten second redneck V8 that will send the german iron packing in the quarter. :D

19. sqidd

sqidd Well-Known Member

The best bang for the buck is.....................2003 Mustang Cobra.

I got mine for 31K and put another 5 into it (pully, chip, exhaust, K+N, big intercooler, pads, rotors, frame connectors, shifter, etc)

Hows 517 RWHP sound?

How about 526 RWTQ?

It runs 11.90's @ 127 mph on the stock Eagles.

It goes 190mph plus

It kinda stops.

And every ass hole with a BMW, MB, Ferrari, Porsche, Z28, etc thinks it's some slow ass Mustang.

It's the best car I have ever owned. How much fun is smoking the tires for 200 yards...........from a 40 roll:clap:

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brad my friend, I drive Insane every friggin place I go. :D

"Oh we're never gonna surviiiiivvvvee unless we get a craaazzzy"