1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Childcare WTF! I have to take out a loan for this shit!

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jul 2, 2014.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

lots of liability, and you're dealing with parents who tend to be pretty demanding about what that money provides.

I used to clean a daycare (that was how I paid for racing), and I would overhear parents screaming at the staff on occasion.

the cost of child care can be brutal, but it's an important job. I drive 40 miles each way for work, and my wife's commute is over 25 miles. We haven't moved East because our mothers both watch our daughter 1.5 days a week. I'm not sure we could afford for my wife to keep working without the free childcare.

statistically, it's really good for the grandparents too. Some study claimed that grandparents who watch their grandchildren a few hours a week are less likely to get Alzheimer's. It makes sense that your body fights off cognitive degeneration when it's biologically necessary to protect a younger life.

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

We pay about 275 for a private lady to watch our 2 year old and 6 month old. She also watches our 6 year old when needed for 30 a day. We could never bring ourselves to put them in one of the centers, they reminded me of a kennel when we went and looked at them.

We checked into the nanny thing and it was way more money if you're going to do it legally. According to our CPA we would effectively be employers so we would get nailed tax wise. I never liked the idea of someone I don't know being in my house when I'm not there any way.

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Oh, he definitely has his window-licking moments. I'm not denying that. If nothing else, in comparison to some of his classmates, he's a damned genius.

4. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

$1300 a month for the only daycare in the area that I would actually want to leave my child with. We decided for the wife to stay home and deal with the financial consequences of that. Why Americans continue to burden themselves with excessive debt for a big house and new cars so that every penny of two incomes is required I have no idea.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I kinda get where they're coming from. Just because your kid isn't there 1 day doesn't mean that they have less costs. They still have rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, salaries, etc. Maybe it would feel better if they spread the cost of 10 days across a year and tell you that you can take up to 10 days off without penalty with a 1 year commitment. After 10 days, you gotta pay.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

They are a lot less demanding in some neighborhoods.

When I used to work in the YMCA after school care, many days went into night.

The worst example caught me on a bicycle ride to work. I had to call my dad at 2100 hrs or so. It too me nearly 30 minutes for my dad to get back to me, this before cell phones. I had to ask him to come pick me up a work so that we can drive two brothers around their neighborhood for nearly an hour. The kids did not know where they lived. I could not get a hold of our records at that time of the night. We drove over and over the same streets in about a 10 block radius until the kids finally identify their grandmother's home. Not even their own home. I dropped the kids at the grandmother's, she opened the door took the kids in an not one expression or word from her.

Like Section 8, if one is going to go with Day Care, go where government assitant is prevalent and parenting less so.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm an american and I don't. We live well below our means and we both work.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

And race bikes, and race entries, and travel expenses, etc. etc.

Pinewood derby racing is next on my list.

9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I've seen several studies where they show it's often not worth it for a second parent to work. They factored in cost of an additional car, fuel, commute time, child care, etc.

There are always ways to hustle if you need extra cash and have some type of skill. The cost of child care is ridiculous.

110 a week is about the lowest I've ever heard. If the child / caretaker ratio is say 15:1 and your total cost of labor is 18 / hr., they're probably not making much after paying for facilities, liability insurance, food for the kids, misc supplies and all the other things you need to run a business.

10. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Yea, I see if he was just gonna be out a day or so fine,I get that. But I asked because at the end of the year around chritsmas we usually have a week or 2 that we are both off. She said I would still have to pay full rate.

I was thinking charge me half to hold the spot fine with me. I guess everybody has a gripe, and today this was mine. :D

All in all I like the place. Code to get in. Untill they know you, anybody thats on the list must show id to pick you. They do preschool and pre k to get them ready. Outside if below 90 or above 25 . So not to much of a hold pen like some I have seen.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sounds like a lot of your wives need new jobs. Or you need new wives.:D

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When you're on vacation, does your company pay you half to "hold your spot"?

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

mine doesn't pay me anything

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Poison his coffee tomorrow.

15. turboderek

turboderek Well-Known Member

I feel everyone's pain here. We sent our son to daycare for a few years. The cost is high. I do understand why we still had to pay for vacation time. Our daycare worker had a huge influence on our son's development & safety. I had no problem with them getting normal days off on our dime. I'd rather them be happy & rested for work, rather then worn-down.

16. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

Ha! I have two now at day care and a third to start September.

4 year old, 2.5 year old, and a new born.

Grand total: $2,800 per month!

That's $33,600 per year for others to watch out kids!

17. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

When college kids have fall break, thanksgiving, and spring break off...do they get money back for tuition??? Nope, but it is built into the price so it is not a kick in the bean bag like the child care center's way of explaining/charging.

18. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Dude, you need an Au Pair.

$1,400 a month, no dropping/picking kids up at daycare, no germ factories, they clean-up after your kids in your house, cook them meals, do their laundry, bath them, drive them to and from school/appointments/activities. Much better for the family as a whole.

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

All the liscensing, permits, background checks, parents bitching about 20 bucks.....

Fuck that.

I love all the people in here that don't own a commercial building and have employees bitching about pricing.

20. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

My kids have a full time nanny. Costs me a little over $2200 per month. When the kids are in school, she does everything for my wife and I. I don't think I can be without one now. I used to think the money was terrible, but it's worth every penny when you don't have to go to the grocery store, do the dishwasher, do the laundry, etc.....Makes my life a whole lot easier.