1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ordering a new replacement frame (with same vin)

Discussion in 'General' started by sonicnofadz, Jun 23, 2014.

1. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

So I've seen a few online dealers offer this service, where they allow you to show them your title/registration for your bike, and they will ship you a new frame with the SAME vin # as your current bike stamped in. This sounds appealing to me since I have a bike (with a crack in the frame) and it has a valid title. Has anyone ever done this, is this legal in all states or will I go to prison somehow? Anyone have any recommendations on a dealer that will do this for a good price (for a Kawasaki zx6r)?

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that you would have to provide them with the original head stock so there is zero chance of two bikes with the same vin running around.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

First I've heard of this...I'd be surprised if it's legal in ANY state.

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I dont see how this could be legal.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dealers order a new blank frame. Then they can stamp the VIN from the old frame. Normally the OEM wants the headstock shipped back but that may vary depending on the OEM. If you go that route I'd keep pics of the broken frame and the boll of sale for the new one as the replacements almost always look like an altered VIN to cops so it's good to be able to easily show what you did.

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

This sounds like one of those situations like registering a salvage bike where what you can or can't do varies by state.

I would check with the local DMV (or whatever it's called in MD) to see if it's even possible before I sent anyone a check...and then be prepared to go back 3 or 4 times before finding someone there that actually will do what they told you could be done.

7. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I order frames all the time. It's a part number. OEM's don't care what you're going to do with it. It's up to you to make it legal.

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

how does someone do this?

9. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

The frame can be ordered like any other part, it just comes blank (no vin). So I guess this might be some type of legal grey area...the state that I will be ordering from apparently allows certain dealers to restamp VINs, but I think my state does not allow this...oh well the bike will only be used for competition use only. Tired of buying used frames on ebay only to find out they have tiny little cracks in them all over the place.

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

If it were me, I'd talk to the guys building custom choppers in my area. They have the ability to essentially create a new VIN for every frame they create.

11. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

Ducati sent me a replacement frame for my old SuperSport. There was a "known issue" with the early frames cracking near the headstock area, and Ducati was willing to swap out the frames. Customer pays labor, or does the swap themselves and then you cut off and give your dealer the headstock from the cracked frame. I don't think that they are doing this anymore, and it took 11 months to get my new frame. There was an issue with importing the frame into the country with the same VIN, so they ended up having to import a blank frame and then having the VIN stamped on once it was in the US.

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I was just curious as I know you can go through the state and have them provide you a vin, but it has to be street legal. Just curious about how to do it legally with a race bike

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have to own the VIN - as in the original bike, and re use that VIN on the new frame.

You could build your own but that is another entire deal and the DMV should have the requirements on their site. Homemade trailers are easy, they just give you a VIN plate to put on it, bikes and cars will be more involved.

A race bike is a moot point as it doesn't need a VIN.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

As long as you don't race in East Texas.

:D

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

No State issues a VIN #. States only issue titles, to assign ownership.
    My next race bike has a COD/salvage title from another state. Its not ever going on the road but FL issued me a COD title in my name with the proper documentation. Cost me about $125 all told.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hence my prior advice :D

17. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Honda requires us to send in valid ID and copy of the title/mso for a bike in order to get a frame or engine case (side with engine number on it). They come blank and do not check what happens after we get it.

18. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Weird, Kawasaki never bothered with any of that

They just threw a blank frame on an aircanada flight. They get them here in like 3 days from japan

19. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

i have a blank frame & carry registration, mine was destroyed while kartwheeling at blackhawk turn 2. babbittsonline.com is prob the best deal around

20. randy955i

randy955i Well-Known Member

I did this with my bike. Ordered the frame using a Yamaha shop, took about 3 weeks. frames come in BLANK (no VIN) the dealer has a stamp kit, and takes your title, matches to the old frame VIN, stamps the same VIN into the new frame and it effectively a OEM frame. Every state does it. I have never heard of an individual doing it (not saying it cannot be done) but as noted I did it personally, and my Yamaha dealer was very familiar with the process.