Commercial building rollup garge door opener

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Anyone have any advice on the opener? I have one door with an opener and the others do not have one. Doors are 14 foot tall by 20 foot wide.

Here is a website with some options. http://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/commercial.html

Usually open in the morning and close at night. Weather is mild enough here it isn't constantly going up and down.

2. Boman Forklift

Wow, there has to be someone on here that works in the commercial door business?

3. barker615

barker615 Well-Known Member

Ding Ding... I can help you!

You definitely want to go with a Lift-Master brand opener.

20w x 14h door, does your do have any Hi-Lift or Vertical Lift track?

I would suggest a "T" trolley opener if you have a standard radius (15") track setup.

The "J" opener would be my pick if you have hi-lift or vertical lift door. You can step up to the "H" model if you want to add on an optional manual chain hoist. (just in case the power goes out)

Depending on how well the door currently operates you could probably get away with a 1/2 HP machine, get a price on a 3/4 HP at the same time and you can make the call from there. If you get a 3/4 HP machine, the solenoid brake comes standard on the "T" trolley unit. If you door operates normally right now and no need for a solenoid brake then the 1/2 hp should be good.

Hope that help, let me know if you have any other ?'s

4. Boman Forklift

Thank you for your help.

Just got a quote and they want $1838 to install a LIFTMASTER MOTOR OPERATOR MODEL H-50-11 (1/2HP, 115V AND SINGLE PHASE). I have to bring the wiring to a J-box within 3 feet of the opener. I see that opener is available for under $600, but not sure if there are a bunch of other needed parts? http://www.florida-operators-contro...uty-Hoist-Operator-Left-Hand-p/h5011-left.htm

Are these prices in line for the additional needed repairs?

UNIT 2654 - 19' 4" X 13' 4" WINDLOCK, LH:BEARINGS ON DRUM BLOWN AND NEED REPLACING, NEED NEW CHAIN HOIST ASSEMBLY AND SERVICE DOOR. SERVICE INCLUDES: ALIGN CURTAIN, STRAIGHTEN GUIDE'S AND BOTTOM BAR, SET TENSION AND LUBE.
    1 PLANETARY GEAR ASSEMBLY 165.00T
    1 PORVENE #200 SERIES BEARING KIT 71.00T
    1 LABOR TO REPLACE BEARINGS & CHAIN HOIST, AND SERVICE DOOR. 710.00

UNIT 2630 - 19' 4" X 13' 3" - WINDLOCK, LH
    BEARINGS ON DRUM BLOWN AND NEED REPLACING, STRAIGHTEN WINDLOCKS AND SERVICE.
    1 PORVENE #200 SERIES BEARING KIT 71.00T
    1 LABOR TO REPLACE BEARINGS AND SERVICE DOOR. 550.00

5. barker615

I work for a garage door distribution company so I can't comment on the repair work prices on your door.

That information you provided makes me think you have roll up / sheet style doors and not conventional sectional style doors.

The Liftmaster openers include most of the items you will need for install... you or the electrician just need to provide the power to the unit.

If you do have roll up doors, just make sure you are getting the correct setup for rolling door and correct shaft keyway size.

[​IMG]

6. Boman Forklift

You are correct these are roll-up corrugated steel doors. Not in sections. That seems to be the common type out here on commercial buildings.

I know nothing about these, but looked at an installed opener in a building today. It looked like the opener had a small drive chain drive, like a bicycle, to a wheel on the door. My doors have a "sprocket" for large round link chain, with each link being about 1.5 inches long. Do I have to replace that entire sprocket on the end of the door to a small style to work with the openers?

7. barker615

The bicycle chain is usually the drive chain from the opener to the door shaft.

Does your chain look like the stuff on the right?

Bike chain on left, "hoist" chain on right.
    [​IMG]

8. Boman Forklift

Yes. So I presume this means when I buy the opener, I will get the black sprocket and the bike chain. I will continue to use my old hoist chain and sprocket?

Thanks for the education.

9. barker615

If you get a H-50-11 opener, that will come with a new hoist built into the unit also.

Hope that helps!

Have a good one!

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

All this free advice, and not even one ADR pic or logo... I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

11. barker615

:)

[​IMG]