1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washer & Dryer Advice/Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, May 22, 2014.

1. Ben Gooding

Ben Gooding Well-Known Member

LG OR Samsung.....end of story. Both highly rated by Consumer Reports.

on Front Load washers, leave the door open after washing...

Need a 4.5 cu ft or larger washer to do a king size comforter.

Both have one yr parts-only warranties, and both do 10 yrs on their direct drive motors, motor only. Labor and trip charges are not included in either.

Buy the 2 yr warranties that the retailer sells, experience says that if there is a defective part, the problem will arise within that timeframe, after that they will rock on for 7-10 yrs with nary a problem.

Kenmore is Ok
    Whirlpool products are complete junk, which includes Maytag now.

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Run far far away from an LG gas dryer!!!

Several service calls. Replaced with another unit. Still same issues.

Apparently they haven't figured out how to make them work on propane!

Constant flame cutouts.

Told them to take that POS out of or house and replace it with another brand.

Replaced with a Frigidaire Affinity and haven't looked back!

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We had a Whirlpool Duet front loader washer and dryer. After about 12 years the washer gave up and the controls weren't working, so my wife picked out new Samsung with steam option, setup that seems to work fine. I don't think we have used the steam part yet.

She still thinks the old pre HE top loader cleaned better than this new stuff. Consumer reports says there are more problems with the new HE style top loaders vs the HE style front loaders.

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Only 2 years in, but our high end GE front loader and gas dryer have given us no issues. Thanks for the tip on the baskets. I will try to make sure we don't overload the washer.

5. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I have had a GE front loader for 7 long miserable years. What a piece of crap. I have gotten good at repairing it. It is unreliable and worst of all IT STINKS!!!

6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thanks a lot for all of the info. I'm definitely leaning towards LG, Samsung or Kenmore since they are the top rated brands by Consumer Reports. Going to head to the local Sears and poke around a bit.

7. ROSS08

ROSS08 Active Member

We had a maytag pair that was around 15 yrs old when they finally died recently.The dryer went first and we replaced it with a new maytag.I will say the new ones are no where near the quality of the old ones.It takes two cycles to dry clothes,the finish is worn off the top just from empty laundry baskets,etc.When the washer died we wanted just a simple reliable top loader without the water saver feature that is used in almost every new model.We settled on a new speed queen washer and it was money well spent.Stainless tub,5 yr motor warranty,15 yr on transmission,hard to beat.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I have a dryer (that works) in my garage you can have. Who wants it?