1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 R6 Throttle concern

Discussion in 'Tech' started by olgoodf3, May 13, 2014.

1. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

After a long winter my bike is mostly reassembled. No additional parts have been added and nothing has been cut/ molested.

When power is on, but the bike is not started, the butterflies do not cycle and the servo has a light "hum." I consulted the wiring diagram to ensure that I have the TPS Pully and TPS Valves properly connected. For sake of process of elimination, I reversed them. Everything cycles like I would expect and the "hum" stopped. However, the throttle no longer caused more fuel to flow and rev's to increase. With the "correct" connections, it seems to run fine (though I was not able to test ride it on my residential street at 10PM tonight).

So.... Is there something wrong with the butterflies not cycling and the servo humming? If so, where should I be looking? The check engine light is not on.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ignition on.. throttle bodies hum.

3. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

Is that a statement of fact like they are supposed to do that?

Other possibly useful detail: I have borrowed a second set of throttle bodies and they have the exact same result.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

key on.. they hum. Have to listen close, but they do. Not a problem.

if you wanna see if your butterflies are opening, and check throttle position readings (kill 2 birds) put your dash in diagnostic mode. At DO:1 check tps reading against the manual specs. Open and closed readings, and the butterflies should open and close in relation to turning the throttle.
    I honestly can't remember if the butterflies open close when the ignition is turned on. I know the variable stacks cycle up and down 1 time.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

Thanks for the insight! I guess I'm just paranoid.

6. if it's like the r1 they do not open and close with ignition on. you need to put it into diag mode 1 for the throttle bodies to go 1:1 without the motor running. the throttle bodies hum. it's normal.