1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital camera help

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, May 9, 2014.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The wife is really liking the DSLR and lenses I got her for taking pictures of the baby. She has even taken a class and the quality of her photos is really getting pretty good.

My question is this, she would like a point and shoot to grab when she doesn't want to load up all her gear, so any suggestions? Something that does decent quality but doesn't break the bank?

Thanks for any input.
    M

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I use my iPhone when I'm not using the DSLR, but it is obviously limited especially in low-light scenarios.

Canon's Powershot line has always been a good choice for a budget-friendly point and shoot.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sony RX100 II

4. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

Best point in shoot in my opinion is the Canon S100.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep looking at them and going back to the cell phone.

6. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I love my S100, but it's a dying breed. iPhone 5s (among others) has the advantage of various HDR apps (and zillions of others for taking photos and enhancing them, all in-camera). Not to mention the ability to immediately send or upload. If you're going to enlarge, print, then you're better off with the P&S, but most people aren't doing much of that these days - just uploading to FB or other places where a pic from a quality cell phone is just fine.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Phone or tablet, both are more than adequate for snapshot quality photo. You are more likely to have it with you, and somewhat less likely to lose it than a stand-alone camera.

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

My S3 takes great photos and video. I see no need for a point and shoot anymore.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The wife does a ton of the keepsake books, albums, etc. Do you think the iPhone route or P/S would be better?

Also, I have seen a bunch of your photos on ADV ride reports...kudos:up:

Tks
    M

10. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Thank you! For books, prints, albums, etc., the P&S will give you better quality, with less "noise" - as long as you're using a P&S that is of decent or very good quality. The S100 can give you a great deal of control over your photos as well, including the ability to shoot in RAW format, aperture/shutter/manual modes, and more. On these two shots, the first was done using an iPhone 5S using an HDR app, which takes multiple photos and blends them to achieve dramatic effects, and the second was with the S100.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first glance, the iPhone one looks more colorful, more vibrant. Just fine for displaying on a phone or Facebook. But a closer look shows that the S100 gives better details, less noise, and would certainly be better for enlarging or printing.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Please explain "noise", not sure I am clear on that and the more I read the more the term comes up.

Again, thanks for the insight.
    M

12. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Graininess in the image, loss of detail, pixelation.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Think of it as a visual version of static.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

I use both the rx100 and my nexus phone. Nexus for a shot to post to the FB and the RX100 for the real photos or SLR for real real photos

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I believe I have what I need to make a decision. Once again the BBS delivers! :D

Thanks all for your insight and input.:up:

M

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Zoom into a black area of a photo and you might see some strange speckling. That is noise. If you set the ISO on your camera too high then you are very likely to get noise.

17. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

I've got a 10 year old cannon G7 that's still one of the best p&s I've ever used...
    Also picked up a cannon sd450 recently. Pretty damn good to.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Here is a quick shot I took on the iPhone 5 tonight. Even at an ISO of 50 there is quite noticeable noise in the dark areas. This is the tradeoff with teeny-tiny sensors that are in phones....

A decent point and shoot will be better, but nothing comes close to a good DSLR with fast glass on it.

[​IMG]

Here's a similar shot with my DSLR at ISO 200, and didn't even have a really fast lens on it, shot at f/13

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  19. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Except film.

20. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

If you remember using 35mm, it had a speed rating or ASA number. The higher the number the more light sensitive the film was. But it also showed more grain. Grain is now called noise.