1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is trying to kill my Palm trees?

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, May 4, 2014.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

They've been in the ground about a year and a half and about 6 months ago this started happening. They still sprout new fronds that look good for a week or so and then the same thing happens. I have sprayed them with a systemic and fertilized them, but it keeps happening. Both palms on either side of the patio look the same. Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Have you tried contacting a botanist?

3. omatter34

Took pics to the local nursery when it started. They recommended the systemic, which hasn't helped thus far. I figured I would throw it out to the beeb and will work on the botanist this week.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hmm. I'm guessing a soil issue. Post up what you find out.

5. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Has it been unusually wet? It looks like a leaf blight of some sort- a fungus.

6. spode

spode Well-Known Member

A systemic what? That doesn't tell me anything.

7. omatter34

This is what the nursery suggested.

Attached Files:

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

You might try the local ag extension office of your state university. They might have more specific knowledge. It does look like some sort of fungus, so the stuff they suggested may help some. A local biologist/botanist familiar with the plant diseases common in your area may be able to provide more specific treatment suggestions.

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

you have to prune aways all of the diseased leaves before you spray the fungicide. did you do that?

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Dig 'em up and plant something nice.

Crepe myrtles, bottle brush, a nice oak maybe? Palms suck.

11. omatter34

Did not know that. Will do this before next application.

12. omatter34

Have a few large Oaks in the yard already. Wife wanted something tropical by the patio and picked palms, so she got palms.

13. spode

spode Well-Known Member

Did you drench that fungicide on the roots or did you spray it?

The fungicide you have there is much much weaker than the same chemical ones we used in commercial greenhouse production. Worked super well on certain diseases and poor to moderate on others. I never used it leaf spots/blight. Which is what you have there. If you haven't made a follow up application of what you have try that. Then you could try some type of copper spray as the next step. That should be readily available a nursery store I would think.

14. omatter34

Drenched the leaves and roots.

15. spode

spode Well-Known Member

The rates for a drench and foliar spray are different on that. That chemical when used as a drench is ineffective on foliar diseases as well. In my opinion I would track down a copper salt spray to use. Just my opionion.

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm with the ambulance chaser. I don't know why people go to all the trouble of trying to grow palms out of their native environment. We had one on either side of the front steps. I wanted them gone but the wife liked them. The temperature got down into the teens here for the first time since global warming started and killed them dead. What a shame! Dwarf camellias going in instead.

17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Pine tree would look nice there.......:D