1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race fuel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stickyrubber22, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Hey I am looking into running some VP gas this year but I don't know much about it. I'm looking into u4.4 or t4. I can't afford mr12. I'm just looking to get a few extra hp. Any recommendations? I have a stock motor sv650. Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Save money, get more track time.

3. Ditto..that probly makes the most sense cuz I'm a broke college student lol

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There ya go. For now work on getting seat time and work the bike you've got until it cannot go faster - then add more power.

5. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

93 pump gas made 68hp...... MR12 with a tune made 72hp on an 09 sv650.

Not wroth the money IMO.

6. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Put 87 in it. It will make more power than 93.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

shhuuuush you....giving away how to make a cheap bike cheaper yet faster. :D

8. dansvs

dansvs Active Member

For Real?

I understand race fuel in a stock engine makes little difference but never tried 87 in my SV track bike. Will it boost power using lower than recommended octane?
    Dan
    :confused:

9. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

SVs do not have enough compression to utilize 93 any more efficiently than 87. Use 87. It will make more power almost everytime

10. dansvs

dansvs Active Member

Thanks Man. Headed to VIR next week. Would have wasted 10 gallons of 93. :beer:

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Who is recommending 93 pump gas? The assumption on using 87 pump gas is that you don't have any extra compression added to the motor.

12. dansvs

dansvs Active Member

WOW! My Bad. :wow: Misread the service manual. 91 by rersearch method not (r+m/2). 87 it is.

Thanks for the help.
    Dan
    :up:

13. Twissta

Twissta Well-Known Member

:up:it depends if your running a track only bike, i use t4, because i dont want to syphon the tank at the end of the day. T4 sitting in the tank till next trackday wont gum up injectors or carbs if you a carburated bike
    Something to consider

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

nothing wrong with using pump gas to sit in the bike, IF you treat the gas. I come home from a race weekend and drain all the mr12 from my tanks (have a bung welded to the bottom with a quick disconnect to drain). Raise the tank, unhook the fuel line, drain the fuel rails entirely. Then i mix some marvel mystery oil and a little fuel stabilizer (seafoam,sentry, Stabil, etc) and put THAT in the race bike tank. Start and run a good bit. Having drained the fuel line and rails, you get the treated gas to the injectors. Now, it won't get to the upper injectors unless you are reving above 8k or whatever, but it's better for the exhaust valves and ports, injectors, etc.

i suppose you could put a little treatment in the tank before the last race of the weekend.. but i bet the t4 is better as there is no ethanol