1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV front brake issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mmfoor, Apr 17, 2014.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Had to replace the front brake master cylinder on my 2nd gen SV. Bought a MC off EBay. Looks the same but from a first gen. Problem is the threads are closer together then on the 2nd Gen banjo that accepts 2 single lines. Does someone make the dual banjo with the closer threads?
    Also, as a quick fix I took the street lines but now I can't get the brake pistons to grip the pads. They seem to be stuck in the compressed position. I've been bleeding the brakes until I bleed to no avail.
    Any help will be most appreciated!

2. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

OK There is the 1.00 threads and the 1.25 threads... All you need is the correct banjo bolt

The pistons are in the closed position; pads against each other, or open position; piston not touching the pads?

Did you bleed the master cylinder first??? (((Before bleeding the calipers)))

Why o why did you not get a late model Yamaha R6 Brembo master cylinder????

:D Luis

3. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Found both size banjo threads after I posted. Thanks tho.
    Pistons are away from the pads which are way open. I pushed the pistons in to allow them back on the discs, like I would do with new pads.
    Brembo makes a master cylinder for my bike but damn I ain't rich!:D

4. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Air in master cyl. if no bleeder nipple crack banjo bolt and use it as bleeder

5. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

:D That is why I mention a nice used one of a Yamaha R6... Can be had for about $100. bucks and it works much better than he GSXR ones... Maybe even better than the after market Brembo 19mm master cylinders... :D Luis

1+ To what GIXXIE said!

6. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Yup, R6 MC is the way to go...... I've used both, the expensive Brembo and the R6 MC, on the same bike and can't tell the difference.

7. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I'll start checking EBAY for the R6 master cylinder. Unless I can get this one to work. The brakes were really good before I flipped the damn thing at Tally 13 months back.

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Latest: hope the right banjos will appear today; ordered from EBay an entire front brake system (minus discs) and it came in Sat. Master, calipers, reservoir, everything and it all looks good - $75. So I have good backup so I'm never caught short on the front brake side of things.

9. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

What years for first gen?

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Any 2006+ R6 master will fit. You'll need a new banjo bolt since the 1st gen SV's are fine threaded and the R6 is coarse.

11. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

100000+ :up: