1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06-07 GSX-R750 Preload nut

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ryoung57, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So - a few weeks ago I had a thread about extended fork caps. Fast forward to last week. Caps were sourced and forks sent to local shop that's supposed to know about suspension to be serviced and have the caps installed. I get a call late Thursday night from the mechanic. During the switching of the cap components from the stock caps to the extended caps there is apparently a small aluminum washer type part that threads in and provides the adjustment for the preload. It got stripped out. I tried to look the part up on the fiche but the guy says it's not on there. What is this piece? How can I get one ASAP?

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My reading comprehension is lacking.

Is it the stock cap that is stripped or the extension cap?

If it is something stock, I may have what you need since I put in AK 20s and an extension, so most stock stuff is pulled.

Can you post a picture?

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I do not have a picture. I wish I did so I would have a better understanding of it. It is the stock piece that is stripped. It's a threaded washer type piece that was being transferred from the stock cap to the extended cap.

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I looked in my leftovers.I don't have anything that resembles a threaded washer. Sorry.

5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Try contacting GP suspension, Traxxion, Thermosman, etc.
    A suspension shop would probably know and have what you need.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What forks/bike are we dealing with here?

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

06 GSX-R750. Stock forks with Traxxion fork cap extenders.

8. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

I know the part you are talking about. You need to be careful with those aluminum threads. Your best bet might be to find some mangled OEM forks and steal the preload inserts from the OEM cap. Be careful, the Traxxion caps have just enough space on top to allow the preload mechanism to top out and spin nearly freely, which can also damage the start point of the threads.

9. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Make sure your suspension guy knows to turn your pre load all the way in or out before installing the new caps.

My guy did not do that and Thermosman fixed them at the track. I was wondering why I could get 20 clicks on 1 side and say 15 on the other. Things were not balanced right.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I may have what you need but the description is inadequate. Call Thermos and see if he has a complete cap. I have some 05 ones, but looked and no 06 ones.

11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I believe I have caps in the shop. I'm out today, just got back from CMP, but I can ship tomorrow if I've got em.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thank you guys. The mech is supposed to be sorting this out but if it's not resolved really soon I'm just going to take care of it myself.

13. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Ryan, I will be at the shop Wed, if you have't sourced the parts by then. Give me a call.

14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Would the caps from a 07 GSXR 1000 work?

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have few caps for those forks if you need it.

16. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

I also have like 10 of these caps if u need

17. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Is that the square threaded washer that fits inside the fork caps?