1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prenup- how much?

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Apr 3, 2014.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I'm glad my wife makes more money than me! I told her I wasn't going to sign a pre-nup! :)

2. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

No one needs a pre-nup until they NEED a pre-nup and then it's too late. You never know how people will change down the road.

If I had significant wealth I would 100% have one. I don't, however, and getting married in 6 weeks. No pre-nup.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

See I think that thinking is a bit backwards. If you have significant wealth you can afford to lose a good chunk of it and still comfortably and happy. If you're of average income and a divorce leaves you on the cusp of the poverty line I'd say you're a lot worse for wear in that outcome, no?

4. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

He was married to his first wife for 25+ years. Met her in School - she is nurse. She may have actually earned her 8+K a month for dealing with him for that long. Still hurt to have to pay her for years after it went bad - and support her new deadbeat boyfriend. You can bet your bottom dollar he got a damn good, no holds bar, Prenup with the second one. My wife is the 'manager' of his will..she probably knows how much the nupt cost. I'll ask her.

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I have no doubt he did. My point was, its very likely he wasn't penny-wise and pound-foolish with the pre-nup.

You don't need to have "significant wealth" going into the marriage for a pre-nup to make sense . . . depending on your state, pre-nups can cover a myriad of things including, but not limited to, property you take into the marriage, property acquired by the parties during the marriage as well as alimony to paid by either spouse under whatever circumstance (i.e., no alimony if the cause of the breakdown is infidelity, apportionment of attorney fees for the divorce under designated circumstances, no alimony if W makes x% of H at the time of filing (or a percentage there of), etc...).

You're correct, no one needs a pre-nup until they NEED a pre-nup . . . and then it's too late. I makes an attorney's job a lot easier . . . or a lot harder.

6. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Newest estimate raised the bar even higher: $8500 plus $5000 to have his buddy review on her behalf. When I told him he was the highest bidder he cut his price to $7500 and explained that prenups are expensive because of the lingering liability. Confirmed with the fiance that she is on board to just walk with our respective homes and retirement- thinking about having an attorney review a LegalZoom boiler plate:rolleyes:

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Amazing how much they want to charge for their basic boiler plate, when it sounds like you and your fiance are on the same page.

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Another weird fact - 100% of divorces are within 6 months of their wedding anniversary...

9. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

No need for a prenup, if things go bad just adjust the brakes like in Strange Brew, problem solved.

10. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

:stupid:

Goddamned right......

*I'm also just a tad bitter....spousal support (California) for a fully functioning adult, who quits her good paying job and refuses to work has a way of doing that to a person.....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

They are quoting you some crazy prices.
    but then again, you should have been doing this a long time ago.

My wife and I have a prenup. Does it mean that we love each other any less than a couple who does not have one? nope.

I dont care about the money, I just dont want to lose my dogs in case something happens! :)

(Told to me, in person, by T. Boone Pickens before I got married...we both love our dogs)

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

.....or just say he hit you (who cares if its a little white lie :D). Signed, sealed, delivered and get that cash :up:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/04/domestic_violence_divorce_loui.html

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Serious question: Do you 'like' this person you're marrying?

14. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Yes....where is this headed?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You'll see....does she like you?

16. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

On my third marriage. Lost 2 homes, half of my military retirement, and have one daughter still not speaking to me. Good thing is I am now married to a very successful lady that should prolly prenup me!