1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road ATL news flash

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

A now-former Road Atlanta employee is facing more than 160 counts of fraud after allegedly embezzling upwards of $120,000 from the Braselton auto racing facility.

Joseph Thomas Greene Jr., 33, was originally arrested on March 4 after Hall County sheriff’s deputies uncovered his alleged improprieties. Authorities announced Thursday that additional charges had been filed, bringing the total against him to 164 counts of transaction card fraud and two counts of felony theft by deception.

The exact nature of his alleged actions was unclear, but Hall County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Deputy Nicole Bailes said Greene embezzled from Road Atlanta between 2010 and 2012. He is accused of stealing approximately $121,000.

Greene remains out of jail on $30,000 bond.

Road Atlanta — located off Ga. Highway 53 in Braselton, about five miles from Chateau Elan and Interstate 85 — is billed as “one of the world’s best road courses” and has an estimated 320,000 visitors each year.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  3. Motorin Mark

Motorin Mark Well-Known Member

This guy never did jack for us when we were with STT and rented Road A. In fact we would arrive on Friday afternoon at about 4:00PM and by 6:00PM he was long gone for the entire weekend and could not be reached if we needed him (or anybody else for that matter). Who the hell rents a track out with nobody on site for the weekend except the gate guards? (and they are outsourced) Very lame..... Made going to Barber, Tally, CMP etc very nice.

Seeing this does not surprise me one bit.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If Joey was gone Steve Lanier was in his office and easily accessible. Never have had an issue getting things done at the track... Then again WERA has been going there longer than any employee other than Steve :D

5. Motorin Mark

Motorin Mark Well-Known Member

I guess somebody else could of been there but we sure did not see anybody. The gate guards were great but they could not help and often told us nobody was there after 6:00PM and that we would have to wait till the morning. And yes I am sure we were low on the totem pole as far as renters go only renting it one or two weekends a year.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What did you need after 6? I thought you'd be done by then.

A normal weekend for us before Panoz bought it was to be given a set of keys to the place and left alone. If we needed maintenance we'd find Steve and he'd handle it. I prefer that to be honest, the managers just get in my way :D

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Perhaps he was in Vegas spending some of that money he was pocketing :D

8. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

those were the days! the Kanelys & Waddells were awesome folks who had racing in their souls. carried those keys for years and "Home Alone" on several occasions, didnt actually realize how great a privilege that was until panoz came along. (and fk'd everything up IMO)

that era lasted way too long and none of those folks truly cared for the sport or that land.

first time I met "this guy" is a bit hilarious and sad but thats a long story.

anyway... Innocent until proven otherwise.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In some ways I didn't like the Panoz era but for the most part I did. The safety improvements alone made it worth everything else.