Has anyone used Plasti Dip on their bodywork or wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by supercarl, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

So the moral of the story in this thread?

keep asking until someone gives you the answer you desire?

Or

If you can't afford to do it right, it is not really worth the time and effort to do it wrong?

Or

If you do it cheap and yourself, don't ever change tires again, don't rub on the paint and expect exactly what you paid for?

Or

All the above.

2. supercarl

supercarl AKA The Pool Boy

Yes. hahaha

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Just remember, the more coats you put on, the easier it will be to peel it off.

4. supercarl

I plan to coat the crap out of it. In hopes of adding durability and to make it easier to come off when it fails lol

5. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

i think you should plastidip the shaggin wagon dude.. it would be way cooler

6. supercarl

Oh Snap. I might just do that.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

All this to impress that one female AMA racer?

Nice. :up:

8. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

yea after she leaves my house :) :clap:

9. Original_337

Original_337 Member

I did my race bike wheels in plasti-dip. Never again, I plan on doing them right this summer in the off season and getting them powdercoated.

Once your tire guy swaps tires and scrapes the wheel weights off, the coating goes with the weights. If you don't mind touching them up then go for it.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I sprayed mine today so we'll see how it does. I only did the parts that always seem to get rock chipped: underside of the tail, front, belly pan. It looks good right now.

11. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

A buddy of mine just did the wheels on his new Audi. He wanted to go from the stock brushed aluminum to something darker. Before he spent the money on new wheels or powdercoating, he dipped them. I think they turned out great.

Another friend had the wheels on his VW R32 powdercoated a very similar color. From 10 feet away you can't tell the difference. The powedercoat was $400. The PD was less than $50. I think I'm going to try it on the wheels of my Xterra.

One suggestion my friend made was to invest the time and small extra cost into a PD-branded prep kit.

They say you can PDip your car wheels without removing them -- they even sell a brake masking kit. But my friend had access to a lift so he took them off.

For masking, he just purchased a deck of index cards, then overlapped them on-end around the bead. He said it worked great and there was no overspray on his tires.

12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I'm going to try the index card method on my trailer wheels. Were the cards stuck to the coating when he went to remove them?

13. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

Nope, not at all. And I think he said he did 5 coats.

Here's a question I have: When I do my wheels I'd like to mask the Nissan logo at the center so the finished product has a bit of 'accent'. From what I'm hearing, removing any masking might cause peeling. Any suggestions on how to do it without damaging the rest of the wheel?

14. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

Trim it out w/ Xacto knife

15. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

remove the stuff when it is wet. once its dried it will peel off when you take out the cards etc.

16. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I did two sets of race bodywork with Plasti-dip.

Short answer: I probably wouldn't do it again.

Long answer: It held up OK - rock chips weren't an issue, to my surprise. However where my knees touched the bodywork, it wore off almost instantly. Also I hung my suit in my trailer, and the legs must have rubbed the upper fairing during transport and rubbed off a spot. Once an edge peels up or wears through, it's going to just keep peeling.
    I used white and black. White was hard to keep clean. Black was fine. On the brand-new primered bodywork, the Plasti-dip stuck a bit better (and was slightly harder to peel off). It served its purpose though (to get me though the remainder of a season, and to protect the brand-new primered bodywork until I could paint it). After that half-season though, both sets looked like they had several seasons on them - just from the smudges and duct tape trying to prevent the peeling from spreading.

So no, I probably wouldn't do bodywork again - at least not a full set. Smaller pieces, sure. Might to my truck wheels someday.

17. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Anything that has an edge will peel clean off. IRRC my center Nissan logo on my wheels is more like a cap. You wouldn't need to mask it, just peel it off from the edge after it dries.

18. supercarl

Nah, if I was really trying to impress her I would get naked, plasti dip myself, and show up to the race like that. However, this would undoubtably start a female riot at the track that could potentially injure numerous fans and we wouldnt want that. She will just have to be impressed by the normal Super Carl just like everyone else :P

HEY!!!!!! Don't you ever say that again!!! She is the love of my life, the blood in my veins!! WE BELONG TOGETHER!!!! Till the mountains fall into the sea! till the heavens collide! or...........until I get sick of her and need to move on. DO YOU HEAR ME!!!?????

I hope my gf doesnt read this forum ever haha. She already gave me crap for that facebook picture and all your guy's comments lmao

Back on topic, Im about to plasti dip a set of bodywork, wheels, and tank. Im going to try it out at a grattan Trackday on April 6th. I will let everyone know how it goes.

19. supercarl

Just would like to say I used my plasti dipped bodywork and tank for the first time at a trackday this weekend and it held up great. no peeling or anything. not even where my legs rubbed on the tank.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Mine didn't. It peeled off where my legs touched the bodywork just below the tank (didn't put it on the tank itself) and it wore where the front stand (triple type) hit the front fender when setting the bike down off the stand.

Otherwise it did great. None of the usual rock chips or anything on the tail, nose, or belly pan. I'll probably just spray over the worn parts and keep using this stuff.