Internet TV question

Discussion in 'General' started by b-sav, Mar 21, 2014.

1. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I have been on the BBS. I have a question for some of the more tech savvy among you.

I purchased this year's video pass from the Moto GP site. I can watch the races on the computer now, but hate having to go to the office and watch on the computer screen, not to mention it is hard for more than one person to watch that way due to furniture.

I was thinking of buying the newest ROKU 3 for my tv, since I just recently "unplugged" from the cable tv company. (Never going back BTW).
    Can you stream the video pass to the ROKU so I can watch on the living room tv? And if so, how?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chromecast. Roku is great but can't stream from a website. Chromecast is cheap and you just fire up the GP in a tab and set that tab to stream to the Chromecast. Super simple.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You would have to go to the Roku website and see if you can add the Video Pass as a channel onto the Roku. Or if your computer has an HDMI output connect it to the TV,, if it is not a desktop of course. :D Or what Mongo said

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

MotoGP should do a channel for Roku....

5. vinnyb123

vinnyb123 Well-Known Member

You can also get an Apple TV. I just watched fp1 last night. You do however need an iphone, iPad, or Mac. Works great and is in hi def. The apple device is only $99 and connects to your tv via hdmi.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, AppleTV works good with the latest version of Apple stuff - not with earlier though so you do have to watch for that. Good excuse for a new MBP if nothing else :D

7. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Wife and I are moving away from having any cable/tv and doing Hulu and Netflix only. Our solution is going to be an apple tv and a digital antenna for a few OTA broadcast channels. For the things not on hulu I can get them on my ipad and then airplay. Been eyeing the MotoGP package as well and airplay will be my solution for that as well.

8. SamS

SamS Well-Known Member

Exactly what I've done for the past year, I've had very good experience with the Mohu Leaf antenna compared to the typical $10-20 antennas.

As for the OP, I don't believe a Roku will stream MotoGP. Chromecast will stream from your pc, or an AppleTV will do it and more if you're an Apple household.

9. RR558

RR558 Well-Known Member

10. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I do have Mac products, my computer is a I-mac and I have an Iphone 5c. Maybe I will do the Apple TV. I was considering the Roku mainly because it seems to have the biggest channel lineup.

will the google chromecast work with a Mac?

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

If the google browser, Chrome, works on a MAC, Chromecast should as well.

Still the best $35 I've spent!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chromecast works great with a Mac. I'm on a newer MBP.

13. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. I purchased the Apple TV since I already had a Mac computer and an Iphone. Streamed perfectly from the Iphone to the TV with a good picture quality.

I love this season video pass, I never realized how much watching the races on Speed sucked until you watch it this way. Made me go out and buy the videopass for WorldSBK as well!

14. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a good streamer that works with the Amazon video? My big TV has it integrated and my BlueRay player with streaming support does not support Amazon. I didnt see much with Amazon support.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Where does you connection to the internet originate? Is it with the Cable co? DSL? Wireless via a cell provider?

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Ive streamed Amazon with my LG DVD player and my Roku, but not my Chromecast.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I tend to use the Roku or my iPad for Amazon vid.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

I use my HTPC or PS3/PS4 to stream Amazon

19. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Cable company.

Cost of internet alone is $55 but is unlimited. Considered Verizon Wireless for a hotspot but would have caps on data and the cost wasn't worth it. We have LTE service at the house and can hot spot out phones temporarily until we're hooked up but streaming anything is going to put us way over data limits.

Additional cost for cable TV was like $60-70 a month on top of the $55 a month. Not including HD cable box rental, etc...

We're on the fence about the MotoGP package. My wife watches them with me but we joked we might just hop on over to her parent's house to watch the races.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And they live where?