1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell Phone Contract?

Discussion in 'General' started by rafa, Mar 19, 2014.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Here is the deal all know beebs.

My 2 year contract with Verizon Wireless just expired.
    I am not necessarily looking for a new phone (although the LG G2 looks nice!)

Question really is, is there any way to reduce my bill now that i am not in a contract with them?

Right now i have a plan with 2 phones. Unlimited texting, 2GB data for each phone, and 700min.

I pay close to $180 a month.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Do you really need 2 gb of data for each phone, let alone combined on your monthly plan? Going down to 1 gb between the two of us lowered ours pretty significantly. I'd look at my bill and see what your actual data usages are.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Iam at 6 gb and almost go over. I have a problem..... Ok,just a really slow job sometimes. lol

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

It could be done with 1GB each phone.
    I am mostly on wifi, and could be even more if really needed.

I just checked and i Pay $160 for the plan, plus all the other stuff they add on top, which ends up around $180 like i said.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How big is a gig? Like a gallon?

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes, go into a Verizon Company Store and talk to them. Verizon and the other carriers are offering "share" plans. Unlimited talk and text and various pots of data usage ( 2Gb 4GB etc)shared between the phones. You should be able to get it down from $180

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Damn dude, buy a computer!

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I might try that. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

My friend had his wifi down for a while, and was using his phone as a hot spot, 4G for quite a while.

His was downloading Torrentz through his phone, managed to accumulate 60GB in a month, guy at the store freaked out when saw that haha.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Where do you work? You may be eligible for one of the discounted corporate plans too. LOTS of companies have it, you just have to ask. Even if you don't work directly for the company you might qualify if you're a subsidiary. My wife used to work for Lowes and we get a 20% discount because of it.

If you really work the salesman over it can pay off. Even with the discounted rate I'd been paying 210 a month for the past few years. Yesterday I went in there (AT&T) and came out an hour later with a better plan at $125 per month plus taxes (probably $150 when it's all said and done). $60 doesn't sound like a lot but over time it adds up. It's $720 per year, or two sets of tires per season!

11. ROSS08

ROSS08 Active Member

You might look into the straight talk plan available through walmart. They offer it here using the at&t network.It runs 45.00 per phone for unlimited calls,unlimited text, and roughly 2 gb data a month with no contract.You will have to check to see if your existing phone will work on the plan.We will probably switch over once our plan with AT&T expires in a few months,although AT&T is offering a new lower price,no contract plan.One thing to watch for with the new lower price/no contract plans is that you pay full price for a new phone.The new I-phone 5 runs roughly 700 dollars at wal mart and I would imagine close to the same at most carriers without a contract.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I will look into that.
    I dont think my phone would work at straight talk, im on a CDMA phone.
    But paying $90 bucks a month, vs the $180 i am paying. A Nexus 5 would pay itself off in 4 months.

13. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Or a H2O. Unlimited everything for $60/mo with $20 international calling.

14. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

This. I'm with net10. $93 and change a month for two phones. Unlimited weverything. Supposedly data throttles back after 2 gig but I don't know. Never gotten near.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

New VZ user here, anyone else get a notice that they upped their GB usage?

My plan was for 2GB, which was plenty if I stayed away from internet radio but they just increased it to 3GB.

16. Just did this today, quick and easy off the shelf and out the door, self set up activation in minutes. Price depends on phone selected or use your current phone.. check for your phone compatibility on their web site. I got out the door for $91.20 with a decent phone. Its 45.00 bucks unlimited after that. They have phones from 45 to over 500 bucks available on the display racks. For 60 bucks per month you can get unlimited international coverage. You can set up for auto-refill billing. Activation goes flat if you forget to pay before the cutoff date. On line soft software lets you manage and track.. if you move simply plug in a new zip and get a new number if you want. Coverage maps look as fat as anyone's.. no roaming.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  17. pkaustin

pkaustin Well-Known Member

Yep. Don't use much, so I dropped it down a level to save $10.

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Been looking at this straight talk deal. doesn't sound like a bad deal and my phone bill would be free every month, company pays up to 50 a month, so my phone bill in house goes from about 130 - 50, so 80 a month to 45 a month???

Not a bad deal...coverage can't be worse than Verizon now....

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Straight Talk coverage depends on the exact phone you are using. Some of them use Sprint towers, some use AT&T, and some use Verizon; but they are all the same price. Our current phones use Verizon towers, and we pay $50.35 each per phone (total) for unlimited errthang. They also have a "Bring Your Own Phone" thing now, so you can probably skip buying a new phone unless you want to. Yes, they do throttle back after 2 or 2.5 gigs of data, but we haven't ever actually run into that since we use wireless at home.

20. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Which phones do you have, or how can a phone idiot like me tell the difference? I have a Verizon phone and looking to keep the same coverage, if possible, but drop the price a touch.

I guess I could start at the Straight Talk website, but hey. Whatever. Because lazy.

And on the Verizon front, it appears their "gimmick" to combat the low cost options is "loyalty points." You can use the points to buy stuff, but you can't use the points to lower your bill or get a new phone. Great idea! Plus, they haven't lowered their rates, yet they no longer subsidize the phones. Another great idea!

Signed, Soon to be former Verizon customer (but really like their coverage out here).