1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you get your motorcycle license?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

1978, age 16

2. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

1996 - age 33. Got race license before street license. No interest in street. Finally took my road test on a 1965 Honda S65. lol

3. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

1974. I was 21.

4. moregsxrs

moregsxrs Well-Known Member

15 1/2 to the day. Got my permit. But, that was as good as a license to me. The only restrictions were no riding on the freeway, no riding after dark and no passengers. There was no helmet law in CA at the time, but my dad said if he caught me without a helmet, he would end my riding forever. Those were some GOOD times!!!

5. Andy Bankston

Andy Bankston DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

On my 14th birthday (1992). I still remember it vividly.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

regarding losing your license due to MC shenanigans...
    A buddy and me got tagged for 95 in a 55 zone back in the old double nickle days.
    We took the front wheel off his GS1100, put it in a bag and went to court.

The State cop was very professional but the magistrate was a 30 yo chick.

We asked the cop how he field calibrated the radar.

Turns out they used a tuning fork that vibrated at 55 mph to set span.

We asked him could he "see" something so small as a tuning fork, of course he could, he thought we were arguing he couldn't pick up a bike due to size and was very positive about being able to see very small items.

We pulled the wheel out of the bag, pointed to the spoke and stated our case that he saw the wheel going 95 but the bike was going slower..(we weren't). Explained that the wheel goes faster over the top, etc, etc.

Now the chick wakes up and asks, "Just how fast were you going?", we hadn't made up a lie for that, so she said guilty of 75 mph! That was only money but no loss of license so we counted our blessings.

7. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

43 years ago when I got my license in Georgia there was no motorcycle endorsement. Matter of fact there were only 2 basic classes of licenses - operator and chauffeur (you had to have this one to drive trucks back then). When the laws were revised in the late 70s I got the motorcycle endorsement. In 2 years I will have been riding for 50 years.

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

On my 14th birthday in 1977. There was no riding test. Pass the written exam and ride home legally. My son turns 13 today. He WILL NOT be getting a motorcycle license at 14.

9. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

On my 17th birthday 1983. Didn't own a car until 1988 because I rode my bike everywhere regardless of the weather. The only thing that kept me off the roads was snow and ice.

Now I won't take the bike out if there is a hint of rain. Pitiful I know...

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I bought a FZ600 for myself after graduating and proceeded to crash it about 2 weeks later, severely dislocating my elbow..... good times.