1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing preworkout supplements with protein

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Mar 10, 2014.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So my pre of choice for the last few years has been NO-Xplode. I've only tried a couple others that I wasn't very fond of so I'm not certain on how all of them work, but with NO, I have to take it on an empty stomach, which can sometimes be a pain and I've gotten used to it. However, I've recently changed my diet to suit a more serious approach to my workout regimen and one big change I'd like to make is drinking a protein shake 30 minutes prior to my workout, as opposed to only drinking one afterwards. I've noticed before when I would eat a snack to tie me over until after a workout, the NO simply felt like it didn't work and a couple of times even upset my stomach a bit. Anybody have a solution to this. Surely most of you meatheads do both before a workout.

I have considered trying a different pre that may not have to be taken on an empty stomach but that stuff is expensive to buy if you may only try it once and decide you don't like it. The few others I have tried either felt like they did nothing or they were too over the top.

2. FloJoe

FloJoe Active Member

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I just drink a shitload of coffee.

Broome and Brown Broome will be around shortly. :D

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Simplified greatly, the reason you're supposed to take the NO on an empty stomach is that it gets diluted and/or doesn't absorb quickly enough if you've got food in your stomach. On the other hand, by drinking the protein shake before you workout, you're pretty much getting a jump on your recovery by giving your body the supplies to rebuild even before you start tearing things down with your workout.

The solution: drink the NO about 30 minutes before on an empty stomach. Let it digest/absorb as much as possible, then just before you workout, or even as you're doing your workout, drink the protein. You might even mix in some post workout carbs here to keep your tank topped off.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sometimes I'd mix in a scoop of whey in with a pre-workout if I was behind schedule but normally I'll only take it by itself or maybe with a scoop of some kind of carbs like Karbolyn, Waxymaize or Glycomyx.

But I don't mix whey in with it anyway. I'll chug pre-workout like 30 min before workout and then during workout I'll usually mix a scoop of this with my water I'm drinking. Aminos and electrolytes.
    http://musclepharm.com/store/all-products/amino-1/

6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

when i was working out more seriously, i used waxymaize, whey, and glutamine preworkout. i liked it, but, then i never really liked the NO-xplode line.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Most of the nitric oxide pre-workout supps made my stomach do cartwheels when I first started taking them, hence the nicknames SuperDump and NO-Assplode. I tolerate them a lot better now for what reason I'm not sure.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

The only ones that have ever really messed with my stomach are some of the more extreme pres. Jack 3D comes to mind. Not mention, instead of making me feel more energized and pumped up, it just made me jittery and shakey. But I'd also guess different people just react to different things. My buddy loved Jack 3D and said he didn't feel like NO did anything for him.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's because Jack3d has DMAA in it. Only a few pre-workout supps had it in them before it was banned.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt36...destroys-8m-worth-of-product-containing-dmaa/

10. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

Though not a horrible plan, most of the information here is wrong. Absorbing and breaking down protein, even whey, is hard on your body and takes energy/blood to complete. Drinking it right before or while working out(assuming a hard lifting session) makes this even more evident. There's a reason why 99% of nutritionists/athletes/bodybuilders will tell you to get protein and carbs in within 30 minutes, it's because this is still fast enough to reap all of the benefits of the nutrition while not taxing your system any harder than it needs to.

11. spode

spode Well-Known Member

Last two pre workouts I have tried have worked pretty well. Musclepharm Assault and PreJYM
    http://musclepharm.com/store/all-products/assault/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/jym/pre-jym.html

The Assault seams to have a little more noticeable difference in initial spike in energy. The pre JYM seems a little more subdued initially but, I seem to be able to push longer. Doing crossfit I seem to hit the wall faster with the Assault and the Pre JYM is my new favorite now. It also has no blends on the label. Spells out exactly what's in it and how much is in it. Good product.

12. Nazif's Pants

Nazif's Pants Covered in flowers.

We drink a big glass of Nestle Quik. Strawberry.

13. C4 lemonade with ON Strawberry about half hour before working out, Amino 1 cherry lime during, ON double chocolate after and some sort of carb if its a weight day.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:crackup:

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But during times of extreme stress (you are giving 100% during your workout, right) the body stops most digestion anyway, so there aren't many resources devoted to the protein during the actual workout. I used to see the 30 minute rule pretty regularly but in the last several years I've read more and more about starting post workout nutrition during your workout and even before. Your muscles only have so much glycogen they can store. You have to have something on hand to fuel them or you won't reach max effort or capacity.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-pre-post-workout-shakes.html

http://www.t-nation.com/supplements/what-you-dont-know-about-workout-supplementation

On the other hand, if you do a serious HIT workout, you'll exert max effort in a short amount of time and strain as much muscle fiber as possible before you burn up all of your glycogen, but that's a different argument altogether.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

17. :crackup:

18. If you are just worrying about keeping your body out of a catabolic state while working out, mix up amino acid drink and start sipping on it while you drive to the gym, and finish it off while you workout. Then hit a whey shake afterwards with some simple carbs.

I dont like to drink a big shake right before working out. Messes my belly up.

About 2-2.5hrs before your workout, eat a good meal of solid food with some complex carbs. Maybe a chicken breast and some sweet potatoes and some vegetables. Then about 30min before your workout, drink your pre-workout/NO drink.

Then like i said, sip on an amino acid drink when you start working out. That will be "light" on your stomach, but provide essential amino acids. Personally, i like this one....
    http://www.dpsnutrition.net/i/8923/musclemeds-amino-decanate-citrus-lime-30-servings.htm

2 scoops of it will give you 10g of Glutamine and 10g of BCAA's.

19. Whit45

Whit45 Well-Known Member

Before workout: coffee with no sugar and 1 oz. of dark chocolate thats at least 70% or more cacao. Post workout: Protein shake and about 20g of carbohydrates within 30 minutes of workout. No caffeine afterwards for at lest 2 hours. I might have another piece of chocolate during workout if I need it. Eating and drinking protein before workout like others have said puts your body's metabolism into "slow" mode trying to digest what you just consumed.

20. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

This is exactly what I do, except I drink my BCAA cocktail during my workout as well. I can't drink a Whey shake anywhere close to working out, only after, but anymore I find real food makes me feel much better, but that's because I can eat within 30 minutes of finishing up.

I rock Atomic 7 from Universal and love it, use their PWO too RageXL or Shock Therapy, alternating depending on bodypart or workout.