1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I tow with a Civic?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Mar 6, 2014.

1. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

agreed...unfortunately in this country, tow ratings are based on the motive to shove SUV's and Trucks down people's throats that don't really need them.

currently in all of europe, the vw golf tdi has a towing capacity of 3,500lbs. in the US, that same car is 1,000lbs. feel free to argue about the difference between the 2 cars, but it's peanuts. who would buy a truck or SUV if they can use a golf for everyday driving getting 42mpg on the highway AND still being able to tow a 6x12 trailer and 2 bikes on the weekends.

2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

That article was a great read. Some of the comments are pretty informative as well.

3. dasrider

dasrider 99 problems

That's a great article. I've got a 2008 Scion xB manual transmission. That car only comes with a 2.4L I4 making about 168hp iirc. It handles my HF 4x8 open trailer with a sportbike and corresponding gear and equipment better than my old 2006 v6 Tacoma.

I did a trip to the mountains of NC and back with the wife and kid as well as my RC on the trailer and still averaged 25mpg on 87 grade. Scion does not list a tow rating and does not recommend towing anything. Whatever, several manufacturers make Class I or II hitches for the xB that work just fine thank you.

[​IMG]

4. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

that's good stuff dasrider...

for the average trackday junkie driving across flat land an hour or 2 to a trackday, it's business as usual. i couldn't get myself to drive a pickup truck to work each day when i use it mainly for trackdays a couple times a month.

5. loser

loser Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Pappa T towing a little trailer with his GTI. It was a little open trailer with big wheels on it, like 14 or 15". It looked like it pulled really good.

The problem with the little trailers is the little wheels. Those little tires are turning crazy high revolutions to keep up the the larger wheels of the car. Also most of those tires are shit. At 70mph they don't last very long.

If I was going to tow a trailer with a Civic I would look for one with larger wheels for lower rolling resistance. It just seems it would be easier on the car.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was a Kendon trailer.
    I didn't chime in because my GTI was the 2.8-liter VR6 version. It certainly made towing easy. I don't know if they make a Civic with that kind of power band.

7. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If I can tow with my Prius, a civic will have no problem. I went from Virginia to JenningsGP (1,500 miles total) with no issues. Cruising speed of 70+mph.

My MPG went from my normal 48mpg to 35mpg average for this trip.

8. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Yeah, I realize your GTI had a lot more umph than a Civic but what really stuck out was how smooth it towed your Kendon with the RC51 (remember the RC51!!!) on it. I figured the bigger wheels had something to do with it.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, definitely. I picked the option for the bigger wheels.

10. Dude.

11. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

when I do track days I see two guys there all the time with a 2010 civic si pulling a black steel/mesh trailer the kind you get at lowes with 2 r6's on it it seems to work for them

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Thats a pretty stout looking trailer but I cant imagine it weighs more than 220-250lbs max. Wheels on the trailer seem like 14"s?

Does the prius have 1000lb ft of factory issue torque? :D:Poke:

13. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

Is that bike held on with just the rear stand? That's a lot of trust to put into two contact points.

When I tow my bike on my flat 5x8 trailer, I've got it strapped down like Gulliver in Lilliput.

14. That isnt "just a rear stand". That is the Pitbull Trailer Restraint System. And i trust those things more than i trust the trailer itself. I have 3 of them mounted in the Toy Hauler and tens of thousands of miles hauling them around just like in that picture. Best invention since slided bread.

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I strapped the snot out of mine too, before I had a Strapless Stand, which is sort of the same idea as the Pitbull Trailer Restraint in the picture.

16. TurboBlew

lol... more straps doesnt equal more secure. Its the time of year around here where we see all the noob bike transporters with 800 tie downs and the bike leaned on the kickstand.

A pitbull, a baxley, or strapless stand is like an insurance policy... a very inexpensive one.

17. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

The bike is on a Pit Bull trailer restraint system. Literally the best $279 spent in this expensive hobby of ours.

I have it attached to a 3/4 plywood that's attached to the trailer. She ain't going anywhere.

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Add to that list the Tyre Down tie down strap...actually my favorite when loading into a pickup and used as a backup in my main trailer.

Baxley are very nice but I've partially lost one from there...still need a bunch of straps.

PitBull and STS are virtually foolproof and the best for your often used trailer with your often used bikes. The problem is when you need to transport a bike for which you do not have the axle adapter.

I have my trailer set up with both STS and Chock bolts into the floor and tie down points for the Tyr Down. When transporting my usual bikes the STS is perfect. When transporting a bike for which I do not have axle adapter, it is easy to switch to the chock/Tyr down system.

Years ago for those who know SpeedyE, I lent him my around town Harbor Freight type folding trailer. Next time he sees me he explains that he lost a bike off the trailer and ripped off one of the rear brake lights so there was a new brake light installed. I asked him how he could have lost the bike completely off the trailer...I had never had a problem. He explained that he did not have his tie down straps with him so he laid it down on its side and used duct tape to "secure it"....True story when he gets unbanned he will verify. :beer:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  19. TurboBlew

For my bikes nothing beats the TRS except the baxley because it fits EVERYTHING. I went as far as putting an extra TRS plate in my trailer for guests. Properly anchored & if you only had 1 choice the baxley is the most versatile. Plus you can throw it in the back of a pickup with not much drama. Just dont let people borrow them as youll be hounding them for months to get it back. :D

20. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't care what you guys say... I would use tie downs as a back up... remember, Doo Doo happens. That rear set up may not fail, but trailer tires do.. and the front of that bike could go over backwards.. think about it.. are you that lazy to add 2 tie downs..? Do ya feel lucky..? Especially with an open trailer..

I will also add.. have you measured the tongue weight..? It could be an optical illusion but that trailer axle seems pretty far back, which puts more weight on the back of the car. Remember "tongue" weight also includes everything added behind the rear car wheels. This means any race gear etc. in the far back. Too much tongue weight affects handling and tire wear, same as on a race bike having a wrong set up.

Ron - My 2 cents worth..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014