1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 2, 2014.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Tossing the idea around of a side by side. But theres so many choices out there. I like the Yamaha rhino because I am a Yamaha fan. Needs to be room for 3 so the rhino would need to have the back seat in it. Wont be used for much but to get around a race track during events and use to work alittle out at my dads place.

I don't need a rzr 1000 or anything crazy. Looks like the rhino even came in a 450 and for what it would be used for would be enough. But what other models or good to look at? What are some good things to know when look at used ones. I am in no hurry so really just gonna wait and try to find a right deal that is to good to pass up.

What is considered high milage or hours on one of these and is the matience any different the a quad. Would be nice to have room to haul a tanning bed around to so we don't need to be out in the sun.:D

2. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Polaris has the Ranger 400 and 570. Kawasaki Teryx. Yamaha Viking 3-seat. Even Kymco makes some ya might be interested in. Sounds like you're more after a "utility" SxS vs. the "sport" side of 'em. Maybe keep an eye out for a farmer or hunter that's traded up.

Can't really comment on what high mileage actually is on these things, just got into SxS hobby last Oct. Picked up a '14 RZR 800 S. Never had a quad, but I suspect maint is similar. Zerks on suspension and drive components keeps it easy to lube up regularly. If it has blingin' wheels/big tires and fancy stereo system, it was likely a poser toy. If it has snorkels, look elsewhere, as they put 'em on there to play submarine with it.

3. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

A lot of used ones are BEAT to hell!!! And many think they are worth way more than they are!!!

4. assjuice cyrus

Yea,I really seeing prices all over the place. I didn't think about a kmyco. What are those things like to get parts for and what not. Yea a utility one is probably more of what i am after. Not saying i will never take it to the trails but that won't be its main purpose.

5. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Have you looked at the new Hondas?

6. assjuice cyrus

No I haven't. Just because I am not wanting to spend new money. :D

7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

You will spend "new money" if you buy a used Rhino...... :D

8. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Not really sure on Kymco parts availability. The local Yam/Kaw/Can AM dealer also sells Kymco's too. I'll ask 'em one day next week on my lunch hour. You could still have a good time out on trails with a utility-level ride. I see plenty of Rhinos and Mules out where we ride. I suspect as long as you're not playing sub-marine with it or taking it off sweet jumps, and performing regular maintenance, then any of 'em should be reliable.

I never really thought I'd like the SxS. Was more of a toy for wifey and kids, as they did not take to two-wheeled fun like I did. As I've had the chance to play around with it some, it really is a fun alternative to have in the garage. Wifey and I like climbing technical stuff, while the kids like hitting every mud hole they can find.

9. assjuice cyrus

Thanks mick, I'd appreciate that. Interested in what they say.

10. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

What is your price range & location???

11. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I agree with the idea that a more "utility" oriented model is going to best serve your purpose. I see every type and brand come through my friend's shop and can tell you without reservation that if you can handle the expenditure, don't even consider buying used. These vehicles are thrashed and whatever "deal" you may get on one that "just needs a little work" will very soon reach the "WTF!?!" realm. For what you say you're looking to do the Polaris Ranger 500 is going to be the best option. They have been around for years and are very reliable and sturdy. They have a workload oriented suspension and comfortably seat three. I think Polaris still offers their "yellow key" which is a special option key that has a chip in it that limits the unit to a top speed of 25 mph so you can govern them down for when the children use them.
    No matter which brand you end up getting (other than Honda, they use an automatic transmission), use the "low range" when you are doing slow speed driving, hills, or towing. The manufacturers put it there for a reason. If you just putt around in high gear you are needlessly slipping the clutch belt and will burn it up. They're (relatively) easy to replace but they are expensive and all it takes to make them last a long time is to operate the vehicle properly.
    As to your service question, no different than an ATV.

12. assjuice cyrus

I am in Ohio. I really haven't set a price range I guess. Thats kinda why I was wondering what was high milage or hours for one.

13. more deaths in the US are caused by side by sides than trampolines and tanning beds combined.

14. Critter

Critter Registered

Spend the 20k and build a bitchin jeep

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

I never quite understood the appeal of a small rough riding car that you wear a helmet in and don't have heat, AC or radio.

16. assjuice cyrus

I am in tears....:crackup::crackup:

17. assjuice cyrus

Jeep would be way to big.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Samurai? You can build those up pretty decently too.

19. assjuice cyrus

Jeep would be way to big.

20. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

The Polaris Ranger would be my choice if seating for three is important.