1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension tools

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpp12, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Guys
    Im tired of waiting for the mechanic to do my suspension everytime a seal goes wrong.

What tools do I need, is a normal inverted fork gsxr 1000 K7....

Will I need diferent for big piston suspension?

Thanks

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Fork Oil level gauge - will be same tool for both, Motion Pro one is cheap and nice
    Fork spring compressor - For regular forks only, not needed on BPF.
    Fork cap tool - Different for both, just something to un-screw the fork cap with. BPF are an odd (big) size, regular forks are pretty common sizes.
    Strap Wrench - Same for both

BPF fork tool - Don't know what else to call it, it's a tool to take out the thing inside the forks on BPF, available from Rach Tech.

Those tools will get you enough to take most things apart. You may also need a cartridge rod holder of some sort if you want to take out the lower cartridge on the regular forks.

Oh, and a seal driver. I made one out of PVC pipe, but you can also buy one if cutting a $1 PVC tube in half isn't nice enough for you.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Good Plan, you will be surprised how easy it is and be pissed at how much money you wasted in the past paying people to do it........

4. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

There are many tiny tricks and processes to get down. Anyone can do seals and oil,but few can do it correctly IMO.

5. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

er...how often are you blowing seals?

6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Def. changing oil/seals is a DIY kind of thing. On the GSXR standard forks though you can't get to the rebound valve unless you do some permanent modifications. At that point you might as well get a 20mm kit so it's at least serviceable.

I'm stuck with my Ohlins currently since I have to find a way to clamp the cartridge without buying the Ohlins specific tool.

7. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Just learning to do seals and oil will save you hundreds......

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The cart clamp can be bought relatively cheaply from Race Tech.

9. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I just need to change oil and seals, Im not competing with Thermosman....

Thanks, I imagine I need like 200usd of tools...

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Don't need any BPF tools until working on 09 or later, he's got an 07 he said. Standard cartridge design.

11. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I figured "Will I need diferent for big piston suspension?" meant BPFs, guess he might have meant bigger pistons as in 25mm or 30mm, but not BPFs :eek: