1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronic dog fences. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadRacerX, Jan 12, 2014.

1. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

My wife hates walking our dogs several times a day and would like to just let them run about the back yard. They are both house dogs and will come back to us if called. But they love to run and will bolt after squirrels or dogs and cats if they're spotted. We are planning on moving in the next few years, and our yard is too big for me to consider a chain link fence. So considering installing an electronic fence. What sayeth the beeb?

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm kinda interested too. We have a new pup and I'm planning to put up 700' of chainlink to encloses part of it, but the gf want him to be able to go out in the rest of the 2+ acres with us as well. Not sure I trust invisible fencing. Don't want him to be a shock collar dog.

3. TunerB

TunerB Well-Known Member

they are very affective with proper training. they also make ones that you do not have to bury the wires.

4. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

Not a fan, unless it's a situation where there's no chance of a fence and getting out of the yard could be dangerous to the dog (i.e., near a busy road) or other people/animals. FWIW, I'm also not in favor of letting dogs run loose, even in rural areas.

My opinion is that I don't believe in inflicting pain on my dogs just because it's a hassle to properly train them or put up a fence.

Our solution was to enclose our backyard with 4' deer fence. Pretty much just pounding stakes into the ground and attaching the fencing. It cost me less than $200 and a weekend's worth of effort.

5. her68ss

her68ss Happily drama-free

My brother had one for his Golden Retrievers. Unfortunately, even on the highest power, one of them could (you could visually see him clench his jaw) run through it. He also had problems with the power/batteries. My issue with electric fencing is, your animals stay in but what prevents other animals from coming in? Our boys are indoor dogs & we live in an area that has coyotes. For the periods of time they go out, don't want to risk their safety.

6. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Electric fences, shock collars, etc. will work on some dogs, others are willing to take the hit to get to whatever they were after. The problem is after they are out they won't take another hit to get back into the yard.
    Speaking form experience as an ACO you have about a 50/50 chance of effectiveness, along with the hassle of keeping the batteries changed.
    If you need a restraint system I'd go with fencing.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Make your spoiled kids walk the dog. :D

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

:stupid:

Letting them run is not the same as a good structured walk.

9. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

I installed the pet stop brand fence for about 2yr. and have it for my german shepards it works great. they do not test the line, they know where they can go and where they cant. As tunerB stated its all about the training. dogs want to make use happy, so teaching them where we are happy with them and where were not is the key. I had a 99% sucess rate with the dogs I worked with and trained. 99% of the time if the dog is getting out or running though the fence its the owners not taking the time to train the dog properly.
    the do it your self type systems they sell at pet stores suck, dont waste your time or money.

10. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

I thought the title was "electronic dog feces", which both puzzled and astounded me.

I can't help with the fence thing.

11. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Going to say I think they are a terrible idea for anyone living close to a neighbor or a road. They MAY keep dogs in, but they sure don't keep people out and that's where the legal issue come. Happened to my neighbor actually. He rescued an Akita, dog was known to "nip", put a fence in, put up warning signs on both sides of his property, didn't matter. Kids wandered into his yard cutting through, dog bit one. He got to keep the dog, BUT not sure what ever came of the legal issues that came with it. I do know he is outside anytime and every time the dog is now, so to me pretty pointless.

Now onto my story, neighbors in our subdivision have one, have an ankle biter and a midsized mutt. The ankle biter has gotten out twice while my wife is running and tried to "attack" her, chased her and barked trying to bite her. Wife has said something to the owners, no change. Well, the other day we were walking our newborn, dog, wife, and myself, and the mutt charged us. Ran right through the "fence", came within 3 feet of my dog, who did exactly as I told him and got behind me, between wife and kiddo in stroller. I was carrying as usual, gun and knife, and attempted to face punt the dog, it backed up, and then lunged again. At that second, it has about .01 seconds until the CCW was going out and I was putting a bullet in its head. Luckily for it, it landed short of me and I didn't have to shoot. Owner came running out and grabbed it while it was in the middle of the street.

We turned to walk, my wife said she was sick and tired of it being the 3rd time same house, and I made no comment. Owner came running up behind us, which almost ended very poorly for him at this time. He was nice enough said the batteries must be dead, we explained that both dogs had now came at us and the next time I will kill either one no matter what. He looked a little confused to which I said no really, I will kill them and continue walking along. He got it the second time and said he understood.

If any dog attacks us again its dead, I don't care if it breaks loose, breaks through an electric fence, or anything, I will never have the feeling I had that day in regards to my families safety. Of course if he did bite, game over, if we aren't on their property better believe there will be a lawsuit, and more. If we are, then shame on us, I don't ever blame an animal for protecting their property.

Call me a pu**y, or animal hater, but I actually am one of the biggest animal advocates around. I rescued my chow/Sheppard mix, put in my 5 foot privacy fence and he is never off leash, ever.

So long story short, I think they are a terrible idea, sorry so long winded, but wanted to let you know my experiences.

12. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I want/need one bad....but people tell me a headstrong dog will go right through it.
    Sheik says he has one that big dog won't go through. Hope he posts in this thread. I need one bad.

13. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Dude, really?
    Firing a gun in a subdivision over a medium sized dog? Shooting/beating/stabbing the owner? Crazy.
    Tackle him next time and give him a beating....the dog or the owner, that will fix it.
    Put the guns/knives/nukes away :D

14. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

in my estimation: (possibly) better than nothing but certainly not as good as a physical barrier. kinda hard to run straight through whirlwind fencing. if the dog is compelled/poorly trained/too dumb to stay within the confines, it may end poorly for said dog. unfortunately, i've seen it happen.

15. Jwheat

Jwheat Active Member

We have one. Didn't take too much time to train the dogs. The tough part of the training is that you actually pull the dog into the fence to show them the feeling of the shock. That really sucked. After training the fence is pretty effective. Just remember to take off the collar when you're going for a ride in the car.

16. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

Ive seen more dog dig under or climb over a normal fence than run out of a yard with an under groung fence . I have installed underground fences in homes with a normal fences for that very reason. In 6 year my dogs have never ran though, the one time my female did get out if was a dead battery(thats my fault)not the fence. They run the fence line like there was a 8ft block wall in front of them.

17. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I love my invisible fence. And so does my lab and all my neighbors. In my case, my dog is well trained and will not go out of the yard except on a leash or in a car. She will stand at the line all day long and stare at me if I am not leading her out of the yard. They work well if you have a dog that can be trained well. They do not inflict harm on the pet. Once they are trained, it emits a beep before it shocks. Still not bad. I have used it on myself. She will bark at someone that is coming on the property and is a good deterrent. My neighbors and local kids come by and bring their dogs to play with her. I live in a subdivision and never worry about her leaving. I definitely recommend one that has a defined barrier with buried wire. Train yourself and your dog. The Invisible Fence brand does a good job and supports their product. It however is not cheap. I also will say that letting her rule the property is not the same as taking her for a walk. She goes ape squeeze when it is time for a walk. I love my dog!

By the way, I live in a subdivision that is on a fairly busy street.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

House a block away has one for their Collie. The dog is outside 95% of the time I walk/run past... and it always runs next to you barking and acting semi-aggressive. It has never left the yard though...

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Agreed. They don't leave the yard, but all they do is bark and run around.

We don't like walking by peoples' houses with electric fences. It's like an excuse to not train your dog (for these people at least).

20. I don't like them. And won't use them.

Put up a real fence, or keep the dog in the house and take him for walks like you are supposed to.