1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for music suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Dec 23, 2013.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

So I'm slipping into the old guy category. I haven't really gotten into any new bands for quite some time. I'm just stuck listening to my same old stuff (that I do like), but really would like some recommendations for new stuff.

My old stand-bys that I always fall back to: Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden. Throw in consistent mixes of Iron Maiden and Metallica and you get the picture.

What would you suggest along those lines, emphasis on the first three groups?

:rock:

2. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

My favorite newer band is "My Chemical Romance". (Don't laugh :D). Try the Welcome to the Black Parade and Danger Days albums.
    "All time Low" has some fun stuff as well but is more "Pop"
    Of course, "Breaking Benjamin" has a lot of good stuff also.
    Cheers, Lee S.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are you a new rock hater? What about bands like Avenged Sevenfold?

Or you could act your age and buy some Mumford and Sons CD's.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hmm, Against Me, Rise Against, Bad Religion. . . you know what, shit if I know, I'm really digging Alt Country anymore. :D

5. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

Queens of the Stone Age

6. acorn27

Not a hater at all. I think I just don't have the time I used to for exploring new stuff. And I really only listen to talk radio in the car (depressing, I know). Just looking for suggestions to stuff that is similar to what I know I've liked in the past.

Think of yourselves as my own personal 'geniuses'...

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are they still around now that their lead singer has become a woman?

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shit if I know but they released some damn good stuff.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

A$ap Rocky: Fuckin problems.

End thread

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Justin Beiber, Drake, 2 Chainz, Nikki Minaj

11. acorn27

thanks bud :crackhead:

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Just scrolled through my ipod and I really don't have much newer rock on there. Tool, Godsmack, Korn, Smashing Pumpkins but you've probably got that covered. Volbeat is ok but like Godsmack, you can only listen for so long.

New alternative stuff is good: Muse, AWOLNATION, etc. This is an awesome station is KC that plays all kinds of new music http://www.965thebuzz.com/pages/3419073.php

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have to admit I am diggin Lorde lately. She is a true talent. Also like M83 midnight city and reunion. Oldie (I hate saying that) but rage against the machine still gets me going. Hard to beat tool for getting me ready to race too.

14. backcountryme

Also like AWOL nation sail. Metric is good too. Problem is there are not many bands around anymore. Most you get now is canned music.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You've just got to know where to look. That radio station I posted is a good source but they're in danger of getting shut down because nobody listens:(

16. acorn27

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be checking some out. Funny I had like four Queens of the Stone Age albums on my hard drive and didn't even know it.

Why is it though, certain albums or artists from a period in your life just seem to stick and you can keep going back to them forever, like Iron Maiden for me.

17. backcountryme

We have a station here that is pretty good. I have Sirius so if I am not listening to Howard I listen to lithium

18. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

bullet for my valentine, +1 for my chemical romance, imagine dragons, arctic monkeys, arcade fire, death cab for cutie, awolnation

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do many of those happen to be the albums you listened to between 18 and 21?

20. acorn27

Yup, pretty much. Impressionable age and all I guess.