1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light duty office machine?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Dec 2, 2013.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Im in need of upgrading my office printer, not because it doesn't keep up or performs poorly, but because I am tired of swapping out media in the single paper tray.

I need a printer that can handle 3 different media types at once. I prefer laser but doesn't matter much. I print plain paper, deposit slips, and checks. Thats it. I don't need a $25k office machine, just a printer with 3 seperate paper trays I guess. Can someone make a recommendation? I'd say my budget would be $500ish.

2. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I don't have a recommendation for you just the caveout to check into ink/toner costs. If you are actually printing a fair amount you will easily spend more than the initial machine cost in "ink" and the cost difference between machines can be quite large.

I can say to check out HP's own site, the last time I had to buy a multifunction machine they had the best deal going.

3. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Caveat?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Caveout...the opposite of cave in.:D

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, kinda like convex, moran.

6. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Shit. Sorry.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Been a while since I priced one, but I think your budget is short a zero.

Multi-tray printers ain't cheap.

You could spend a shit-ton less and have 3 printers. Smarter still would be 3 of the same printer so your consumables will be the same and when shit happens you're not completely unable to print.

8. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Unless the deposit slips and checks are a standard paper size, extra trays won't really help you much. You could probably get away with a machine that has a manual feed tray along with 2 paper trays. Which machine specifically is up to you depending on price but that is the criteria I would look at.

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

How about changing to an 8.5x11 format for checks and deposit slips?
    That's what I did.

10. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Everhthing I print is 8.5 x11...... im not sure i understand what difference that makes. If ive been printing reports on letter paper and then its time to print a deposit slip or some checks I have to go load the check forms or deposit slip forms.

11. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Paper trays are set up for standard paper sizes like 8.5x11, legal size and such. A lot of checks and deposit slip type stuff isn't a standard size. Since your stuff is all letter size then yes you can use standard trays. You can add paper trays to most laser printers, especially HP's. Depending on what you have now, just adding another tray to yours may be another option.

12. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

You need something with 3 paper trays and set up each one with the different media you are printing on. Two drawers and a manual feed would suffice for you. The one below has a maximum of 3 trays which would work but it's color. I caution you though to look at the toner cost and yield before buying anything and look at used units to purchase as well. The things that wear out are usually included in a maintenance kit which you will need eventually on a new one anyways. Weigh out the costs with multiple options. You can get a machine from xerox/ricoh/toshiba/etc, for a monthly fee plus a click charge per page. Something to look at if you price them right. My costs for a nice color MFP with multiple trays is ~$63/month with a click charge of $0.0065/page for b/w, $0.065/page for color. $12.80/month and $0.0098/page for just a simple b/w unit. They cover repairs, toner, etc. You just print and pay for what you use. This can pay off in certain cases and certain business models to alleviate downtime and IT costs.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...t/CE903A?HP-LaserJet-Pro-300-color-MFP-M375nw

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

If I were you I'd get a dedicated check printer so you arent wasting $$$$ printing a letter with MICR toner.

Then get something with 2 trays or a single tray + 100sheet manual feed.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously?

15. nikk777

Yes sir...you need one?

16. nikk777

I'll pony up the $1 to the classifieds as soon as I have them in hand to take pictures of and officially list. Coming out of a working environment, removed to upgrade to newer leased units. I got 19 of them... :D About to buy 10 pallets of HP toner too if you need some of that... Gotta hustle and make a buck to afford my racing addiction!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't change this being spam and that sure as hell isn't a light duty machine so your spam doesn't fit the whole answering a question thing.

You're not above the rules, you're not somehow more special than any other racer. They don't do this crap yet I keep remembering your name. Why is that?