Got a ticket in the mail - running a red light

Discussion in 'General' started by r6rcr75, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Actually, in Florida it's beyond a reasonable doubt for traffic infractions.

This definitely varies state by state.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I was think GA where a red light camera isn't a traffic infraction at all. It's a civil matter between the company/local government and the runner. No points, no chance for jail or the like, just normal small claims type rulings possible - although given your license can be pulled for civil stuff they could have some effect on that too.

3. 1dwn5up

1dwn5up Well-Known Member

Send them a picture of $158.00.

4. scottnovick

scottnovick Member

:crackup:

5. R1RJ

R1RJ Well-Known Member

I beat my red light ticket here in Florida by asking the officer who was testifying to the video/pictures if he could positivly identify the the driver at the time of the infraction. I explained that multiple people had access to the vehicle that day and at the time I was not operating the vehicle. He could not and the ticket was dropped. :)

6. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Fight it, send them an eloquent and very long winded letter... followed by a couple more letters. Send 1 a day asking how they can prove it was you, your constitutional rights to a jury trial, anything you can think of.

Make it not worth their time to enforce it.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

See that's why I thought (and again this could be different because FL is wacky) that these tickets were treated more like a parking ticket. An officer doesn't need to prove that YOU specifically were the one who was illegally parked, just that it was YOUR car that was doing it. Hence its not a moving violation that carries points, just a fine.

Same as this. If it were as simple as you can't prove that I was driving gets these thrown out I would think more people would be doing that (in other states that is).

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

9. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Don't know all the details so it's hard to be definitive.
    What I was talking about with the 'no right turn on red' aspect...

Even if you're in an area (city or state) that allows for right turns on red it does not allow any one to make a rolling right turn and merge into same direction traffic. Many people don't read the driving rules for their areas and want to fight this issue cause they think since there is not oncoming traffic they can continue moving in their right turn. And as the guys stated earlier, most places have a set amount of time that is deemed adequate time for the stop so one can assess the traffic and proceed in a safe manner.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never understood why people think right turns have some sort of invisible yield sign. If it's a yield situation they'll have a sign, if not then you still have to stop at the sign or light at the line and wait a few then go again.

11. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

In CA, they were outlawed in most cities I believe. I remember when they were here, you could basically ignore the ticket if you wanted to because it was a civil action and there was no way the company running it/city was ever going to spend that kind of time to fight you for 200 bucks.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I've been laughing at this for 10 minutes. :up:

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Was that true, or did you commit perjury?

Asking the officer "does that photograph allow you to positively identify the driver?" is one thing. Affirmatively testifying that others had access to the vehicle, or that you weren't driving (assuming you were) is entirely different.

The burden is on the State. Don't fall into proving your own innocence, and committing a perjury offense in the process.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

But they can send it to collections, which can negatively affect your credit score.

Fighting tickets isn't necessarily a bad idea - ignoring them definitely is.

15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

California gave up on it real fast when people figured out they didn't need to respond. Since you never swore to show up, they couldn't do a damned thing. Now there's a push to make it like a traffic ticket so they can force you to pay. Hopefully it doesn't go through.

They had the speed cameras in Phoenix a couple years back, they would send someone to serve you after they took your picture. My sister got a couple and just hid from them when they came knocking. :D

Eventually AZ gave up on speed and red light cameras too.

This shit is all just a money grab. They've proven that red light cameras are deployed at intersections that generate the most revenue, not at the intersections with the worst or most accidents. Cities also deliberately decrease the yellow time at intersections with cameras.

16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I think that's what caused Ohio to go from traffic tickets to non-traffic tickets - the fact that a traffic ticket falls under the category of a criminal offense and, with a criminal offense, you have the right to question your accuser.

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Figures. I don't see how they can do that legally, but then again they can do whatever they feel like.

Here's an excellent article about cities in Florida deliberately reducing yellow times. A fraction of a second reduction can double citations. Beautiful.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/31...ting-in-more-red-light-camera-tickets-for-you

18. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

In Georgia and most states it is Illegal to block the cross walk. It will be dismissed if you claim that you would have obstructed the crosswalk when coming to a full and safe stop :D

If the law is the same where you received the ticket it should work... A close friend researched this and used it in court to have his ticket dismissed.... The state cannot prove other wise.

19. R1RJ

R1RJ Well-Known Member

It was true in my case. They ask who was driving and I had no idea. They wanted a name of a relative that might have been driving and I stated again i had no idea due to the amount of time that had passed. I also had documentation showing i was not in the area but I didnt need it.
    In Pasco County Florida they have an officer review the tape and testify in court to its validity and accuracy of the camera. You have the ability to question the officer since he is the accuser in the infraction. He has to prove you comitted the offense.

20. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

There's no proof you ever got the "ticket" - they don't even spend the money to send it registered mail. So basically, once we all figured out what a scam it was, everyone stopped showing up, the cities lost money on them and then shitcanned them.