1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone flying/building drones?

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Dec 9, 2013.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

just curious. guy i know got someone to shoot some property he owns using one. the photos are amazing. then i found a really cool video from one, of lower manhatten, the east river, brooklyn bridge, and statue of liberty.

i used to be into rc back in the late 80s. but this is really cool. runs off open source app on your phone???? cool.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Late 80s? What kind of rc'ing did you do? My father and I flew r/c planes at Bay Meadows in Glen Burnie in the mid 80's.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

When did rc plane become drone?

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. joec

joec brace yourself

i was a member of rcmb when they had a field up in hereford. 85, 86, 87. i was just a kid. caught a glass prop once. lots of stitches. still ave the scars. the guy that guy me into it got a job at aai working on their ship launched stuff back around then.

toe, they make hardware that drops in in place of your receiver, thats programmable with waypoints elevations speeds, etc..... it'll run anything from a car, a helicopter, or plane. they even have ports for things like cameras and other" stuff. you can convert from rc, to drone, just by dropping in a box, and downloading an app.

or you can build from scratch.

i havnt done it. this is all new to me. i was just curious what people here were fooling around with.

ill post that vid over in the vid section.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, non-military un-manned aircraft only started being referred to as "drones" after 20/20 interviewed Amazon's CEO, and he unveiled his plan to have "drones" deliver packages under 5 lbs. within 30 miles of their distribution center.

"Drone" is the term the FAA uses, and future legislation will likely use.

I would have to believe that there will be some sort of private vs. commercial distinction in any legislation that ends up being passed. Sort of like a private vehicle sale versus being a dealership.

All that said, the multi-blade RC crafts with the ability to hover are badass. I would own one if I could think of any remotely practical reason to justify the cost.

7. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

I just now am getting into R/C helicopters. Alot of guys are flying those with cameras too.

8. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

9. joec

joec brace yourself

drone + go pro = fun. there is a ton of legal wrangling going on now. ive seen some super cheap kits out there. sub 1k.

heres one of the shots from the weekend i grabbed from another forum.

http://nemm-racing.com/boxshopflight12813.jpg

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

11. joec

joec brace yourself

racing related??? eject eject!!!

12. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

There already is. That's why the dude that flew the hexacopter all over a college campus and was paid for the video is in a ton of heat, as well as the low approaches he made over school buildings and populated areas.

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Check out Flitetest, they have kit parts that will help you build something pretty cheaply, as opposed to buying a complete kit. Tricopters, quads, hex. Cheap is a relative term but they have ideas to keep the costs down for both planes and quads.
    They're all about building the RC community, they have some cool video's too.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Would be cool to see somebody do some race weekend footage with one of those. :up:

15. joec

joec brace yourself

thats what the boxshop guys want to do. have one circulating during a race weekend.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A friend bought one to inspect his slate roof and re-point his chimney. Because he could exactly detail the work to be done he got a fixed price for each job and claims to have saved thousands.

Now he uses it to peep into his hot neigbors window....:eek:..kidding

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not above spectators or the track surface at any of our races....

Not that I don't trust people playing with remote control helicopters but I don't trust em...

18. MotoXer311

MotoXer311 Well-Known Member

19. joec

joec brace yourself

heres the one the guy uses. mind you, he uses his for his business.

http://nemm-racing.com/rwdrone.jpg

not a rotor type. all of the way points are preset. as is the camera stuff. program it, hand launch it, it flies its course, does its thing....then returns. has rc override in case it gets "lost". can even follow terrain based on gps mapping.

the pic was shot from 700 feet up.

20. MotoXer311

MotoXer311 Well-Known Member

Doesn't even look like a plane..