1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Christmas trees

Discussion in 'General' started by surfingsk8r, Nov 19, 2013.

1. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on fake Christmas trees I personally would rather have a real tree, but that said my wife will not ever let me get a real tree again (see story below for a laugh) All of this said does anyone have a recommendation on a realish Christmas tree.

Story: so last year I convinced her to let me get a real tree for the house So I went to a guy who was recommended as having good quality trees and good service Picked out a great looking tree and had him bundle it up for me Got it home set it up and admired it After a few days we kept noticing that there were these little black dots that looked like dirt around the tree so we vacuumed and went on with our day Then we left for the weekend and when we came back there were these black dots all over Upon further inspection these dots were bugs that looked like ticks Now admittedly I started to freak out a bit but a google search informed me that they were not ticks but that they were aphids Needless to say I had to throw out the tree and spent about a half a day vacuuming up all of these bugs 2 days before Christmas That was my wife's first and she says last experience with a real tree What crappy luck IMO.

2. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

just go to the stores and look at the displays set up. You can tell if it's decent quality, and if you don't cheap out it will look plenty real enough. just look for how "full" it is and if the needles fall off easily. (if the store display has a bunch of needles beneath it, don't buy that one) I got one at sears on sale for around 150 or $200 (can't remember) and it still looks great almost 10 years later.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Fake trees FTW.

4. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I used to be think fake trees were really stupid and lazy. That said, I now have a schweet-ass fake, LED tree that I love. I had to ditch the real trees after I developed a wicked allergy to them a few years back. I woke up the morning after putting our tree up and couldn't breathe, had insane sneezing and watery eyes. We traced it back to the tree, so it had to go.

Now that we have a fake tree I sort of dig it. No messing with the water, needles, set up, drop off, insane tree prices, and BS of the lights.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We used to get a real tree every year but only the "misfit" trees. One year, we got one that had been kicked by a deer and that side was freaky. Trees with character and that no one else really wanted (and were therefore cheap).
    A few year back we got a fake tree and it's alright enough but just not as cool as our barney rubble tree or the deer kicked tree.

6. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

I prefer the Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

Attached Files:

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Real tree's FTW. Plus they smell good!

8. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

They make them now with spring steel branches, so out of the box they spring to full shape. No more extending the ends of the branches to fill out the tree. Be sure to get a pre-lit on, so much easier.

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Fake trees rock!

We're looking to replace our realistic looking fake tree with a pink and white snowy one for the full fake tree effect.

10. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I only use fake trees now. Several years ago, I decided to burn our real tree to get rid of it. It still looked green, so I was wondering what to light it with. Just for kicks, I lit it with a cigarette lighter. I was amazed at the conflagaration that almost instsntly appeared. I was scared that the back yard was going to catch fire it erupted so violently. I cannot imagine this happening inside my home. I don't think you could put it out with a fire extinguisher if you were standing there at the ready. So no more real trees for me. If you doubt what I'm saying and have a real tree, please do yourself a service and bhrn it when you are done with it this year. And no, I did not wait until July to take it down. That was on New Years Day.

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, I put in a gas burning fireplace, right on the south wall where the Christmas tree use to go. So, about two or three weeks before Christmas she asks me..where are we going to put the tree this year? I replied, I like it where it is now....in the attic! ...and that's when the fight started

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

About every 4-5 years, I convince the wife that we need a real tree. But after the hassle of the needles going everywhere, the maintenance of adding water, it's just a hassle. Then we go back to our fake one and she's happy. A real tree does add to the Christmas spirit though, the smell is excellent, and just knowing it was a living tree.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Merry Murder-A-Tree Season!:D

When I was a kid we'd get a live tree (with root ball still attached), keep it in a bucket, then plant it after Christmas.

14. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

biggest thing to look for when looking at artificial trees is the number of "tips". The more tips, the more realistic it looks, but also the more expensive it is. We bought one a couple of years ago after my last one (had it for 15 years) finally fell apart. The one we have is about 3000 tips i think, pre-lit with LED's, 7' tall (i didn't want a really tall tree), and most everyone that comes to visit cant tell its NOT real, and they always compliment on how beautiful the tree is (of course, the wife decorates it, i just set it up and plug it in).
    We gave about $350 for it, but when you consider what you pay for a real tree, and the fact that a well built quality fake tree will last at least 10 years, you've actually saved money in the long run.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:crackup:
    That's a good idea:up:

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Cutting down a real tree = tree killers. Yeah, I know it would just be a field full of some other crop and not trees if they didn't plant Christmas trees in it. Just kidding.

If you go with a pre-lit tree, go with LEDs. It is expensive but worth it. Once the bulbs start to fail on the pre-lit trees, it can be a real hassle finding one of the two burnt our bulbs in a string when the string is wrapped all over a couple branches. First thing I do when I set up the tree is go over the whole thing and make sure there are NO bulbs out. That reduces the chance that two will go out on the same string which would leave me on my back under a tree or reaching into a tree replacing and testing bulbs one by one on a fully decorated tree. Not fun.:down:

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I friend of mine had awesome New Years parties torching old christmas trees for giggles. Flames got 30' high :wow:

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Curious...how many of you guys have a Christmas tree farm 3 miles up the road from you?

I used to have a fake tree...though it would be easier...what a pain in the ass!

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fake tree, clippings of real for accent and garland. We get the scent with minimal fuss.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Fake tree, if any.

As others have noted, the real deal is a HUGE fire hazard. A very good friend of mine insists upon getting real trees every year. I can't believe his condo complex allows it... Seems like a HUGE liability issue. It would certainly be forbidden if I ever owned a rental property.

If I ever do a real tree, it will be one I can plant in the spring.