1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decent diesel under 20K

Discussion in 'General' started by motomadman217, Nov 16, 2013.

1. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Can it be done? about all that is newer that i am finding is Fords with 120k miles plus. Decent motors? i know the 6.0 had problems but does the newer 6.4 have the same problems?

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You'll find older diesels (pre-07) prices are pretty high due to the newer trucks having a lot of emissions related issues, that and the price of them is getting up there. Who wants to buy a new one with the potential for issues if the older ones get the job done for less money.

120k miles isn't really a lot anymore. Every newer diesel has problems and most stem from the emission regulation on them. The great thing about a used one for you is where you live. If I bought one up here with 120k the truck would likely be rotted out everywhere, likely not the case for you.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Buy a 2002 or older ford from down south where they don't use salt.

Don't sweat the mileage as long as its under 200k.

If its over 200k that's fine but you need to make sure injectors turbos and front end parts are good.

4. motomadman217

I am up by you, havent been in Fl for years just to lazy to change it. So rot is a issue. Found a 2009 with 122k for 19900, ext cab 4x4. Think i am going to have to go check it out.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Quad cab, single cab, 4x4... what options.

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

It really depends what you want to do with it.

7. motomadman217

4x4 ext cab at least, power windows and cruise is all i need

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

05/06 Liberty CRD with 2.7l MVmotori 4 banger
    07/08 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD with the 3.0 OM642 Mercedes V6, same one thats in the Sprinters and running like champs. Towing rating of 7500 lbs

Why do you guys assume a 1/2 ton diesel when he says that?

Never mind, i see he narrowed his requirements

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Because we pretty much assume that he is not a fruitcake, right off the bat! :D

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

1/2 ton? I wouldn't assume a half ton, I'd assume a 3/4 ton at least if you're really going to utilize what a diesel has to offer. I guess when people say diesel I assume a "truck" not a grocery getter that gets a little better fuel mileage. Packing a diesel in any vehicle doesn't make it a better "tow" vehicle.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Try to find one down south, you'll pay for it but it will be in better condition than anything around here.

12. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I just traded out of my 2011 Cummins and went back to gas. Newer 6.7s have great power, but the emissions kill the MPG. 16 daily driving, 11-12 towing. Had an 02 Duramax prior- injectors were it's weak point and I just did not want to drop 7k on a new hi pressure pump and injectors so I traded. Newer Chevy's supposedly are better after the LB7, but i got a better deal on the Ram by about 17,000. I must confess I still miss my old 97 7.3 Powerstroke though.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I know a guy selling a 2001 F350 with 112k and lots of upgrades for $14,900.

14. Can you elaborate, or be specific? Make/model? What types of issues?

I am yet to hear of a single newer model diesel having any issues that aren't man-made (running out of DEF, putting substandard aftermarket parts on, etc). But obviously, i do not know every single diesel owner in the USA, so it is possible i might have missed something.

15. motomadman217

anyone know any info on this place called Diesels Direct in Ohio? they got some good deals. Planning on going there to look at a 08 quad cab with 150k miles for 19999

16. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Just keep an eye out on the internet. We picked up a rust free 05 Ram Bighorn with 110k miles for 15k in Toledo. We love the truck, towing 8500lbs we get 15 MPG and 25-26 normal driving totally stock. It was probably brought up from Tx or something. You can find some killer deals down south.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  17. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Sold my F350 crewcab Lariat 7.3L diesel with a 6 speed manual and 85K on the clock for $16,500 last spring.
    Needed tires and had a little bit of rust over the rear wheel wells but otherwise damn near perfect, included a 5th wheel hitch etc.

It had a tuner, a upgraded tubo blade and a cold air intake, routinely got over 20mpg empty or with one/two bikes in the bed, 15-16mpg towing a trailer of 4 bikes enclosed or open trailer didn't matter and 12-13 towing a Bobcat with some attachments on a 20' long trailer

My point being there propably are some decent deals out there

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Mostly EGR/ EGR coolers leaking if they are equipped. DPF's plugging up. Mostly fords that we've come across as they seem to be the choice for fleet vehicles that we see a lot of. Nothing to extreme yet, but give it a few years and see what issues start arising. LB7's didn't have much injector issues for the first years they were introduced and look at what all happened with that.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Purchased my '04 Ram 2500 with the 5.9, crew cab SB, auto with 116k on it for $16K. Clean. Needed tires, and the typical Dodge 4x4 front end ball joint job done it, but I'm rather proficient in doing that so it wasn't a big deal.

Looking at the diesel prices of newer ones...yeah, I might be owning this thing for a few years. LOL

20. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'd look for an LLY or LTZ duramax for that money. You should be able to find a fairly clean and lowish mileage truck for that money and that is before they got into all the emissions crap. This would be 04.5-05 for LLY and 06-07 I beleive for the LTZ. Basically before they switched bodies I think in 07.5. The LTZ is more sought after for the 6 speed and more power so the LLY will probably be a better deal and is still a really good truck.