1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of rule changes for AMA in 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 8, 2013.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Hold up; there's lots of talk about Lady Gaga, Boardwalk Empire, the Kansas City Chiefs, and shaving your pubes.

Number plates just happens to be the only discussion happening relevant to motorcycle racing.

2. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

which is Sad... (not Gaga or Boardwalk, or KC Chiefs or pubes but yeah, sad that number plates lead the way pertaining to roadracing on U.S. soil)

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I saw a guy with a brand new R1 with only 200 miles. I asked him what made him choose the R1 over all the other 1000's out there? He said, "it's the one I could get financed."

4. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Sidenote: My local dealer just went under. Had a Columbus and a Cleveland dealership. It was a shock. Hell, I used to work for them.

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Chris this is what i (and you even) are talking about.. yeah the R1 IS a heavy under powered pig BUT they are selling TONS of them! WHY?? it has certain qualities like...

1. It has race pedigree (Spies WSBK, Hayes AMA SBK) even thou we all know that bike is closer to a Bull taco than a std R1.. its that different.

2. The bike LOOKS bad ass

3. The bike SOUNDS bad ass

As you said, its about "want" and people want the R1 cause "its cool" that is who is buying bikes.. not the racers.. so again, look at the Panigale..its a pile.. i would never own one BUT it looks freaking amazing, sounds great and "its Italian" so it sells Same with BMW.. people perceive its "higher quality" as its German, plus the HP they make weather or not 90% of the riders can use, sells it as well.

Until the manf remember that "cool sells" and get back to that they wont sell more units IMO.

edit: Even myself, i have not bought a new bike since my MV Brutale which i bought stictly on the 'cool factor" but i have a deposit on the new KTM 1290 Super duke... why? because it looks, sounds and goes like pure evil.. i am just as much a squid as most of us.. for me motorcycles should be EXCITING...not just numbers.. weather i can justify the cost of the KTM or not i still "WANT" one.. thats what we need more of in this industry..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

couldn't agree more :clap:

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

After reading this thread I am convinced that is the AMA scrapped their book and wrote the rules according to the beeb, there would still be mega bitching and crying here. Sorry to say, but damn there is a ton of armchair, cry baby types on here.

8. Cannonball39

Sell to who? Consumers are relatively smarter nowadays and alot of the credit lines that those with less than stellar credit ratings once were offered, are gone. Another thing is that home equity played a MAJOR role in everything from financing boats, small businesses, beach homes, motorcycles and even motorcycle teams. I remember Jason Perez and his family's quest to put him in a position to do some things. His story was public but again, with no home equity as a lottery ticket, there are a lot of street riders, td riders, weekend racers and pro racers who are scratching their head as to how to finance a machine or project with limited resources.

So again I say, who will buy the "exciting" machines and with what money, lol? If Yamaha is quietly offering zero down, 0% for 24 months, 25% thereafter credit lines similar to the early 2000's... shame on them.

9. dean dufrene

dean dufrene Well-Known Member

As a racer hearing about how great the 90's were, I envy those who grew up racing or were around for that. Unfortunately, I did not throw my leg over a motorcycle until 2009 and shortly after I heard about trackdays. My first ever trackday, a older gentleman who races and has been around since those days gave me a lift. I learned a lot that day. One of the things he said, and I forgot most, was that racer's race! Thats your job! I decided I did not want to do trackdays, I wanted to race.

anyway, to get to my point, the number plates.... Well I don't care if it's pink or purple or rainbow colored. But switching back and forth does add to my budget, which is already very tight. Sure, I could stay away from the AMA, but then again, is that what they want? No, surely they want me there! Or should. But, someone with wayyy more experience and money gave a solution. Paint it green, and tape over it for club stuff. But, Mr. Maloney, also understand that that adds $60 per paint job for a color I am not using as part of my livery. Even vinyl from drippingwet.com is around that. Or I could try my hand at making some number plates myself. But, I don't have a crew. I just race because I was told racer's race. And that's all I want to do. Color's don't matter-MONEY DOES! And no matter what it adds to my budget!

Please be gentle in your response I am still a noob!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. Cannonball39

I agree. I'd rather hear what the ama pro roadracing "active duty" population have to say but unfortunately, those types don't post much (minus the team owner we all know and love and a few wrenches of course.)

11. Cannonball39

You can leave it white (or yellow) and race til you're blue in the face with a club org that is full of the same riders AND MORE that you have (or plan to) race with AMA and you're budget will be just fine.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Smart money does not buy shit on time payments they can't already afford in cash.
    I guarantee you less than 10% of the retail powersports shoppers have the cash parked in a savings account to plunk onto a new unit.
    How else do you think automakers move units?

13. dean dufrene

dean dufrene Well-Known Member

I have raced and do plan on racing with the AMA in 2014. Or maybe not. Maybe it's best to save the extra couple thousand dollars and wait til I get better using the club organizations and while allowing the AMA to get their stuff together. When we both grow and become better we can meet again and have an ending worthy of "happily ever after"

Seriously! I am not one who talks about it, I live it! I love racing! Since the first time I leaned into a corner I wanted it! I dump all my money into it! And when I say ALL, I mean ALL! race weekends are only stressful leading up to and after. Why? Because I am often putting paying a bill on hold to afford entry fees and tires.

Hey, if you want to tell me to go home and don't worry about racing because I am not rich. Well, then you can say it til you are blue in the face, but I won't listen.

Either way, I will race! Racer's Race! Sure we all BYtch!!! But some of us still show up to race~!

What I don't get, is why some of the more influental people don't stand up and help make this better. If you put me in charge, I may run it into the ground worse than DMG. But there are tons of people with more experience and influence that could help!

For the love of racing, get this figured out!!!

14. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Racers race! What a great line!:D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Horseshit! Smart money uses other people's money to make purchases and use their own money to make money. I could buy a $40K car with cash if I had to but why would I when I can get 0 ~ 2% financing.

Same goes for a $2000 scooter or a indian take away meal.

You damn well know I'd use Yamaha, suzuki, KTM or Beta's cash and keep mine.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I have the same philosophy. What does that mean?

17. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

18. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

wait a minute.. One more thing . let me pull a kookzell. If you need your number plate painted red, we can do it.. We paint number plates.. Just give us a call. We love to help out, :D

19. Cannonball39

I'm speaking to any company ignoring poor credit ratings while offering laugh now/cry later offers to purchasers that are "excited" but are only buying the yamaha for instance due to no other choices while carrying rough credit.

20. Cannonball39

Influential people like who?