How do you calculate alimony for a wealthy woman?

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Nov 8, 2013.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

How do you calculate alimony? My lawyer told me yesterday that my not soon enough to be ex-wife has counter sued for alimony. We live in New Mexico and the divorce will be decided under New Mexico law.

I left my wife two months ago after 4 1/2 years of marriage. We're both 63 and for sure we have no kids. I filed for divorce and I am only seeking a division of marital assets as prescribed by New Mexico law.

She retired this year. Last year she made more money than I've made in my entire life. In most of the years that we've been married she made on average 5 times what I make. In retirement, at least for the next 4 years she will make almost double what I make working full time. When I retire in 2 years she will be taking in each year 6 times what I will make in retirement each year.

So, how will a divorce court calculate first whether or not I owe her alimony? Then, if the court decides that I do indeed owe her alimony, how will the court decide how much I have to pay her?

2. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

She makes more than you and has the whole time y'all have been married? Screw that, you should be suing her for alimony! It's not just for women!

3. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Its just legal maneuvering. Make sure you have a good lawyer and listen to him. My wife wanted stuff she knew she would never get but if they ask for the mountain it doesnt seem so bad when you give them the hill. Just tactics.

4. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

(In Gilbert Gottfried's voice from Beverly Hill's Cop)

BBBIIITTTCCCHHH!!!

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Let's face it. You're the victim here. You've grown accustomed to a certain standard of living. She owes you support...:D

6. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

Case in point.....mental distress and abuse.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Like somebody else said, it's legal maneuvering. She probably did to offset any claim you might try to make to her assets.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

As a divorce veteran, I can assure you that logic, and sometimes truth, has no place in a court of law. Get a really good attorney, explain the facts (emphasis on facts), listen to him/her, and go for the jugular. Keep your expectations low, and be happy if they are exceeded.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Ditto what everyone else has already said. spend the money on a good lawyer now! Worth every penny in this situation. With the length of marriage I doubt you'll get alimony but you shouldn't be paying.

10. It is hard to say, the going rate for a good hitman varies by state.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Read my mind...go buy some rocks and have a crack head whack her.

12. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Car accidents happen every day.

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Any pics? :cool:

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, but if you are buddies with that motor hand that just got out of Angola prison he will most likely do a favor for a buddy for cheap.:D

15. [​IMG]

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Get a better lawyer. Your should have instantly counter-filed for more alimony. Nobody will get any $$ except the lawyers, but at least you can walk away from that bill.

fuck lawyers.

17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

It appears that, in New Mexico, alimony has a guideline calculation. It also appears that New Mexico has a presumption against alimony for a marriage that lasted less than five years (this is pretty typical... in Florida, it's under 10 years), so I'm assuming that you're safe in any event. So here you go, plug your numbers into the formula just for shits and giggles:

http://www.nmcourts.gov/newface/new/alimony/guidelines.pdf

Disclaimer- The advice of some guy that lives on the other side of the country who may or may not actually be an attorney (I mean, really... how do you know?), should not replace the advice of your New Mexico attorney. :D

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Just sayin...[​IMG]

19. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

New Mexico has all kinds of deadly poisonous critters that end up in crawling into people homes...

20. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I think there is a guy in ABQ that you can get Ricin from.