1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben Spies to choose....

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, Oct 3, 2013.

1. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

So what are the criteria one must meet, to be allowed to levy negative criticism of Ben?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Achieve what he has... Having gone through injuries as bad is a bonus.

And that would be if you're talking about his decision to retire right now. Talking about a specific move on a bike all can see/understand or something of that sort is different. I for one have no problem criticizing his decision to date she who shall not be named :D

3. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

does that criteria extend to crticism of mladin as well?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're going to call him a pussy yep. If you're talking about what I've said keep in mind I defended his choice to stay in the minors ;)

5. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I kind've agree with this (hoping for it). It's hard to say though. I can easily see him never riding again but I can see him returning in 2015 to ride for Suzuki in MotoGP again. Not sure if he'd go back to WSBK now.

6. jwb

just doesn't seem to be a tit for tat...

but, then again... when has it ever?

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got to ask, how was the comment made? I can say the same thing 20 different ways and mean it 20 different ways.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No criteria need be met, it's already been decreed in the 1st Amendment to the Constitution :D

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, fucking pussies!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For me on calling people names in general has to be based on facts. There are no facts that could ever have someone logically call Ben a pussy. Same for Mladin really, he was a tough bastard. That's a good example too - there are plenty of facts that show Mladin is a bastard :D

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I see him turning the page. There has been no offseason for him and world-level racing in a few years. Even when he was in the AMA the intesity of his rivalry with Mladin was 24/7/365. He has other interests. I think he'll engage them and not miss racing until the next season starts without him. He's 29 and loaded. I'm sure he'll find a way to cope that doesn't hurt.

12. BiZ

We wonder why so many people now a days have such over inflated opinions of themselves... It's because we allow anyone (IE the bulk of the Beeb) to shine unqualified yet glorious praise down upon the heads of our idols. But the moment anyone has even the most dissenting of opinions, he's held to an impossibly high standard so that his opinion is levied inert.

If you're willing to take positive criticism from anyone, you should be willing to take negative criticism from anyone. Otherwise there's no balance in the force!

Of course, I didn't ask what your criteria was to levy positive criticism. I'm sure it's to the same high standard.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is oddly enough.

People do get grief for heaping praise on their idols. We call them Uccios :D

14. jwb

if maldin had raced with WERA, then everyone would be on his jock as well... him being an asshole would be just him "calling it as he sees it"

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So what you're saying is I also shouldn't be able to cheer on and praise Ben until I've also won 3 AMA SBK titles and 1 WSBK title, and a couple MotoGP podiums. What a buzzkill :crackup:

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I shoulda put this in the Motegi thread about MM's helmet. JFC, GMAB, DIAF, FML...

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll throw smack at the cows (sacred or not) if I think it's warranted. You can too.

Just better be ready to state your reason and be wearing nomex under roos.

18. BiZ

We need to do more of that. In the real world...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not for me. If Ben had called Mladin a fucking pussy for not racing DMG any longer I'd have the same reaction.

Why is that so hard to understand? His comment was about a rider retiring due to serious injuries. How can you make any sort of case for that comment making sense? How can you make a case for Mladin somehow deserving to make a comment like that about another rider?

20. jwb

i've done neither...

the only comment i have even raised an eyebrow at was dude saying how ben completely kicked mladin's ass those 3 championships seasons which is complete nonsense...