1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler Frame cracking check yours

Discussion in 'General' started by burniep, Oct 24, 2013.

1. burniep

burniep Well-Known Member

You guys with the newer "light" built toy haulers may want to go underneath every now and then and check for cracks in the frames.

I have a Forest River 2012 XLR 27hfs that had cracks in the frame in four places near where the axles mount up. Luckily they found them while replacing the axles and i was covered under warranty. Dealer said first one he has seen but since they had a kit available to address the issue it must be pretty common. I also did some research and found several listing with people having similar issues. Not always by the axles.

Not all were for just this trailer but may different travel trailers and toy haulers. Seems to stem from them trying to reduce weight on these things and maybe not making the frames strong enough to handle the stress of turning them and flex.

Point being get under them and check the welds and frames for cracking.

2. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Is this by chance, an aluminum frame toy hauler? Just curious. Aluminum tends to crack instead of flexing.

3. burniep

Pretty sure steal under frame. Aluminum is just used in the walls.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Why is your 2012 Toy Hauler needing new axles already? Have you put a ton of miles on it?

5. burniep

There was also an issue with this model 2011/2012 units where they installed axles that were just a little to narrow and caused the tires to rub the inner sidewalls when the trailer moved side to side. They installed wider and went from 3500lbs to 4400lbs axles.

This has noting to do with the issue of frame's cracking. It seems to be caused by the stress the frame being put under when turning. Look a your axles when you make tight turns and see them trying to twist. That stress is passed onto the frame as well.

However I did find other that had issue with cracks in cross member areas as well.

Just seem to be making them to thin for the stress they need to handle. Trying to make them half ton tow-able.

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Almost identical design as my '12 Fun Finder Xtra 276. I've been under mine so much I've lost count. Have not seen any cracking but its a terrible build job underneath. Welds look like I did it. Axles have been ok no issues to date. Some rust here and there but nothing extreme. It came out of Indiana during the winter so I'm sure it crossed over some salted roads coming from the factory.

You've sparked my interest I plan to crawl under that thing today with a flashlight and take a closer look at the frame. I have an extended 5 year warranty on this thing and I'm into the first or second year of that right now. Trailer has some miles on it, prolly close to 15k on a guess. It's had numerous problems elsewhere but hopefully the shoddy looking frame is ok.

How did they fix yours? I wouldn't think a frame would be to easy to repair especially if not caught early. This industry needs policing they all are turning out junk and it doesn't matter if you spent $250k or $25k its all the same crap in the end. American quality at its finest!!

7. Peanut37

Peanut37 Peanut

I've heard of 5th wheel frames cracking in the past from people using gooseneck adapters instead of 5th wheel hitches. This was due to the pivot point being at the truck bed and not up where it is supposed to be and causing it to flex differently. It was also popping windows and jamming doors up.

8. burniep

Better check that extended warranty as I noticed a few people with the aftermarket warranties that said frames were not covered. Luckily I purchased the 2nd year warranty direct from Forest River and it save my ass on this one.

They welded metal plates over the cracked areas on both sides of the frame. Did this on both sides of the trailer. It was not cracked in one area on one side, but the shop welded the plate that came in the kit there anyway, assuming it was going to happen down the road.

It was pretty much a full days job with removing what they need to be able to weld, welding, paint frame, and putting it all back together. I would have not want the bill for that one. They had an outside welding company come to the shop to do the welding.

Other then this I really haven't had any real issue and this was my 3rd season using it.

9. roy826ex

I read no frame exclusions in the warranty only a $75 per event deductible. However I'm sure they'd try to screw me over since the whole RV industry is a bunch of snakes.

I googled the issue came up blank on my trailer brand but a lot of Forest River complaints dating back to '07. Who ever made Crossroads trailers were junk seems they've had frame issues back to '03. Cruiserv who built mine could go down in my book as one of the worst RV builders still in business today. I've had all sorts of build issues. Crap dealer idiot company it all adds up to a lot of frustration on my part. The thing is paid for thank goodness. It wouldn't come as a shock to me to find a frame problem.

Let me ask did you do a lot of tight turning or backing up in tight spots? I'm told that's really hard on them. I've tried to avoid that but backing into my driveway really puts the twist on the trailer.

10. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. We have a 2010, think I'm going to take a good look at it this weekend.

11. burniep

Just like you mentioned, backing it up into my driveway and maybe going around the circle at the end of my street.

Besides the frame and axle issue all else has been Ok. Some minor stuff but noting i wouldn't expect in an RV.

I went with a Forest River product due to mostly OK feedback and them being one of the largest and little chance of going under.

12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I used to work at one of the largest conversion van companies and we watched #2 go under and then we went under less than a year later. Starcraft was the only one of the top 3 to still be in business.

13. burniep

I figured since it was owned by Warren Buffet they had plenty of cash.

14. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

Why?? he is a business man, he will sell or close anything not making him $$

15. burniep

Well figured I was better off with a company he thought was a good investment, rather then some of the smaller ones that could not weather the economic downs that put a lot of RV companies out of business.

16. roy826ex

Longevity doesnt guarantee quality. Cruiserv has been at it a long time since 1970 under the Starcraft name and a few other names up to current name and they still haven't figured out how to build one or treat a customer right. Yet they lie on their website about building quality American products and how family oriented they are. All a lie as I have had the displeasure of talking to them on numerous occasions.

17. Peanut37

Peanut37 Peanut

Are conversion vans still made?

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i had a Jayco toyhauler, 2004 model, 36' 5th wheel we purchased brand new, and we had this same issue. They put out a recall and i carried it back to the dealer i purchased it from and they welded re-enforcement steel under there.

19. roy826ex

I guess I got lucky on this thing I bought. No signs of anything out of the ordinary. In fact it still looks brand new under there. No evidence of anything wrong other than I still say I can weld better than Lippert can and I don't even know how to weld. It does have extra angle pieces welded a top each axle spring connecting point to main frame I beams. I assume to reduce the twisting forces in this area. Those pieces are only on the outside of the frame none on the inside.

I will keep an eye open since so many have had problems. I still can't find ONE Cruiserv frame failure which seems odd given their shoddy background. Trailer has between 12-15k miles on it just guessing. It's been across the country and back and to a lot of race track events.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  20. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

good info and thanks, i have the same model but a 2013, i will be checking it regularly now