1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life expectancy of leathers?

Discussion in 'General' started by V5 Racer, Oct 15, 2013.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Assuming good treatment, storage and occasional cleaning how long do they last? What are you guys seeing?

2. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

I think it honestly depends upon how much you sweat and how often you condition the suit. Sweat breaks down the stitching. At least that's what I've been told.

3. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

just depends

on the quality and how much it is used .everything can wear out. I have one client still wearing his suit after 17 years but it has been maintained and several of panels have been replaced over the years.( sort of like daniel boones' axe) then there is Dave Brooks. his suit has been through the mill but he cleans it every year and we maintain it. I think it's 10 years old he's worn it hard too and it did daily commuter service the first few years of it's life. these may be exceptions instead of the norm. most suits last about 5 years if taken care of and excape the medics shears. looks to me liek cow lasts longer than roo in the long term. but you ohave to keep the sweat out of them. bill and darethea

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I have no idea I usually crash mine into a early retirement lol

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

All of mine are still in tact and good to go. My Hein Gericke from 1998 is still good. My Teknic's I crashed in several times and they are still safe, just not pretty. I have 4 suits, 3 of them I can still fit in and would wear. I kept them serviced every. I think the main thing is to let them dry properly and keep them out of the sunlight.

6. Terp01

Terp01 Well-Known Member

I still have my vanson leathers gear since 1994. Crashed twice and never had it serviced professionally. Just water from a hose and the occasional rain to clean it.

7. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I have no idea I usually crash mine into a early retirement lol

8. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

<One Year If You're A Growing Thirteen Year Old...

9. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Yeah man. I've wrecked a suit the first time I've worn it lol

10. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Bill, I'll send you my 12 y/o suit over the winter for inspection. If it is worth keeping I'll have you do the cleaning and repairs it needs too.

Thanks!

Rodger

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

my kobe suit is so old I dont' even remember when I bought it. It's been thru probably 5 or 6 bikes now, and probably 40-50k miles. mostly just wearing it in the rain a few times a year for washing it. :)

I'm scared to wreck these days because I'm sure it'll just blow up when it hits the ground. time for new leathers soon for me...