1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Stolen in "Secure" parking garage

Discussion in 'General' started by mattbnj, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mattbnj

mattbnj Well-Known Member

So as the title of the thread states, my 2012 CBR 1000 was recently stolen from the parking garage where i work. There are signs in the parking garage saying the property is monitored but I come to find out the video cameras are not recording the ins and outs of the different entrance/exits of the building. I have a claim with the parking garages insurance company and i am asking them to 1. get their video cameras working 2. sink bike racks into the parking garage floor so we riders have a place to lock down our bikes and 3. reimburse me the cost of my insurance deductible, sales tax, and down payment i shelled out for a new bike.
    Has anyone been thru this before and were you able to recover any money for the stolen property. Do you guys think there is a legit case here to bring against the parking garage? I am not a big fan of lawsuits, but i really think if their cameras actually worked, i would have been able to recover my bike. F'n theives.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Sorry to hear about your bike, good luck

3. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Good luck with that. Even if the video cameras aren't working - so what? What responsibility do they have to make sure your bike is safe? If they do things like cameras, sunken racks, etc, that's all well and good but it doesn't make them responsible if it turns out not to be enough to protect your property.

4. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Well, if Matt (or the company he works for) pay to rent a secure facility, a copy of said rental agreement is in order

If security is implied or guaranteed, he might have case.

Otherwise, good luck recovering anything from the insurance company.

5. shaugdog

shaugdog Pimpalicious

I agree with this, and good luck.

6. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

Lol why not sue the cops too for failing to prevent the theft. Don't waste your time trying to sue. You will get nowhere.

Sucks about the bike tho :(

7. mattbnj

Thanks for well wishes. It definitely sucks. Wish we had better security at the building. Without it i wont ever bring my bike to work again. Really sucks that some scumbag took what i worked hard for and stole it. If those cameras worked we could have caught the a$$ clown who walked off with it. So frustating.

8. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Even IF they had sunkin metal to lock your bike to, a 18 volt grinder, or bolt cutters will take care of that. Most parking places have liability clauses, i.e. they are not responsible for any theft, ect, ect.

I seriously doubt you would recoup a dime from the insurance company.

Does suck about your bike though. Might be better to invest in a GPS, i.e. like LoJack next time.

9. mattbnj

Sounds like i may be SOL. It just frosts my nuts that the building has security cameras that dont record anything. That just aint right! But then again whoever said life was fair. :)

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Even if the cameras worked, unless the guy got stopped while in possession, chances are slim that he'd ever be caught.
    I've had two cars stolen, so I know how you feel. Aside to the initial report and the call telling me they found the remains, no cop ever contacted me.

11. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

most of the time, those video cameras don't capture vid's at a high enough resolution to positively identify anyone. So yeah, unfortunately this is going to be one of those "life" lessons...which is a shame.

12. mattbnj

it's definitely a kick to the balls. no more rides to work 4 me. lesson learned.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I feel your pain. I had a bike stolen right out of a parking garage with a full time attendant. I had tried and convicted the guy and was trying to carry out the punitive phase... lucky he was locked in a box. Cops took me for a ride to the station to "cool off". A few hours later they picked me up again and drove me home. :mad: Got a pretty stern warning about showing back up there.

In the end... I learned its just a "thing" that can be replaced. Dont sweat it if you have insurance. They should cover most of those items (sales tax, etc)
    so you can start shopping in prime winter buying season. :up:

14. mattbnj

Thanks - yeah it really makes you feel terrible and it's not about the loss of the bike as much as it is the fact that some scumbag got away with it. That piece of shit took my bike and is either keeping for himself or more than likely parting it out for profit. Very hard for me to get past but I will in time.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thieves suck.

Too bad you you did not have the HRC real wheel sensor on your bike. We could have hoped.

16. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

is this like a public parking garage? Or is it for employees only? If it's for employees only, you probably need your badge to get in?

sorry to hear about your bike. I had a civic Si stolen from me at a movie theatre. 3 days later, I had to go to the city impound lot, and it was just the shell left. Insurance covered everything and my rates didn't go up because it wasn't my fault. Keep in mind I had full coverage.

My buddy had his ZX10 stolen in mid april, he only had liability unfortunately. Sometime in August, philadelphia police call him and said the bike was found. The guy was speeding and got pulled over, and he said it was his friend's bike. The guy got arrested. The bike had some rash on it, and the middle of the rear tire was flat (I'm sure they did a few burn outs.) But it ran fine, my friend fixed it slowly over time. Good luck man.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Full coverage? I doubt you'd get anything out of their insurance, I'd be looking to your own for coverage.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Same thing I was thinking. I remember getting sales tax and the remainder of license fees back, when my car was either totaled or stolen? Not sure if that is a California law, but I was pleasantly surprised.