1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL turned pink

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

What I mean is, can it be possible for it to be a net benefit for the NFL and cancer awareness?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's just it, at what cost?

Glamorizing an awful disease in the name of "raising awareness", which we all know is BS is disrespectful, especially to alot of people living with it (there's a good percentage of people out there that find the NFL pink crap distasteful).

"Raising awareness" is a BS ploy to pique people's consumeristic nature. The NFL could just as easily donate a certain %age of ticket or merchandize silently without the whole pink in your face show. And in that link I posted earlier when you see how much money they actually donate from the "pink" sales they make its pretty measly.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Breast cancer research already receives far more funding than any other cancer research.
    $20 million more than prostate and lung cancer combined.
    Almost two and a half times the funding for colorectal cancer.
    Five times as much as melanoma or Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
    Twelve times as much as kidney cancer.
    Twenty six times as much as bladder cancer.
    Thirty two times as much as uterine cancer.
    Thirty seven times as much as thyroid cancer.

How about they promote some awareness of and raise some funds for other types of cancer research?

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not to mention breast cancer depending on stage has a very high survival rate. With regularly screening and early detection the 5-year survival rate is 100%, only drops to 75% by Stage 3. Prognosis for lung and prostate and colorectal is FAR more grim. Those need a little more "awareness" or whatever media buzzword works.

5. TuesdayHugh

TuesdayHugh Four Day Weekend Dude

How can I concentrate on work if I'm thinking of boobies?

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Didn't Hustler start the showing pink craze back in the 70's?

7. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

OK, there are about 200 plus different kinds of Cancer. A lot of the fund raisers $$$$ go to expenses. Typically for all kinds of Cancer early stages have the best prognosis. Late stages are included in the 5 year survival rates. Those rates are old, but still will give you an idea. Breast Cancer is an aweful disease, if it is the wrong type or not caught early is a very bad time for that person.. The "Double Whammy" is NOT a cure in many cases. And although somewhat rare, MEN can and do get Breast Cancer. There is some evidence that suggests Men with Breast Cancer are higher risk for Prostate Cancer. Most Cancers are NOT curable. The proper term is N.E.D. for "No Evidence of Disease. Many types of Cancer have no early warnings and do not show up in any standard testing, which includes X Ray. Clear Cell Cancers are more difficult to detect as they do not show up easily. The best detection methods include CT, MRI, and sometimes Ultrasound. Many types of Cancer have different detection methods, so one size does not fit all. I can go on and on... I know this because I am fighting Kidney Cancer, which has spread to my lungs, yet I have never been a smoker, this is typical for Kidney Cancer, lungs first, and anywhere else at any time.

There are some good drugs available to prolong life.. as of now there is no real cure, period. Cancer can and usually does mutate and thus the current treatment become ineffective.

However you would be amazed at the research going on, world wide, yes even in China and Vietnam. There are some promising Clinical Trials on right now... and soon a few more will hopefully start. One of the most promising finds is a Cancer protein identified last year, called CD47. The anti CD47 could be that "Silver Bullet".. Here in the good olde US of A we have the most (or the same) of the best available Cancer drugs than any other country. Many countries do not approve some drugs and procedures because of cost, not because they do not work to extend life.

Early detection is key, regardless of Cancer type.. but with some Cancer it does not matter.. some Cancers are very aggressive. Some Cancers are very slow growing (some Prostate Cancers). With the exception of childhood Cancers, most Cancers occur after 50 years of age. But it makes me sick when I hear of an 11 month old baby with Kidney Cancer or any other type of Cancer..

Don't cry for me (I know you won't anyway). Even though I had major surgery March 2012, in April 2012 I was seen bump starting my racer at Willlow Springs, and went to the IOM last year. This year my racer went to the IOM with me.. Life is good and I enjoy every day...

Be Well All

Ron

8. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

It was good to do it once, and a little kid wrote a letter and suggested it so I thought that was pretty cool. NFL said they will go back to yellow flags.

I saw a pink breast cancer t-shirt at the store, "Big or Small, let's save them all." :up:

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I think Knotcher's point is, "what is the 'cost' you're speaking of?"

I'm largely on your side - my post earlier echoes the same "ditch the pink, actually fund shit". But, even if they don't do that, they're not really *costing* the research or cure anything. They're just not benefiting it as much as they could. Which, yeah, sucks.. but it sucks like a billionaire giving a waiter a standard tip instead of a $100 tip. It's still a gratuity.

10. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Ed, that sounds nice.. but... In fact the women fighting BC hate that kind of crap. You see, BC like most Cancers often spreads.. and the women care much more about staying alive than losing their breasts. It is a matter of perspective... if I could give up my testicles to stay alive I would do it in a second...

But it is difficult for someone that is not dealing with this crap to have a good perspective. Even some of the care givers do not fully understand, that is not ragging on you, that is just how it is...

I know of several racers fighting several different kinds of Cancer.. it just stinks... but we do not get to chose much... Although all of us can look at our lifestyles and try to reduce the risk. Diet, exercise, and of course smoking can change the odds to some degree. My Dr thinks my exposure to cleaning solvents (and gasoline) were the major contributor. We never wore gloves way back then.. washed our hands in the solvent tank daily... etc.

Ron