Ryland homes new construction

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 4, 2013.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's all about the superintendent on the house. If he gives a shit he'll keep the subs honest and turn out a nice product.

Early in the process make nice with him and at the same time show you're on top of things. (if you're not, get a friend who is). Don't wait till the end to have things fixed, do it while the crew handling that part of the build are still on the job.

Don't beat them up on little shit, save it for the big stuff.

Don't have too high of expectations, if you do, pay a high end custom builder as he's already allotted for PITA in his price.

2. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I've got a good friend who's an architect for them. He bought one of the Ryland homes on Bradshaw Farms Golf Club. It is a very nice home with many custom features. I think he'd be happy to customize any part of it for you. They're not shit boxes at all. They're not custom homes either.

3. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

Any of the big national builders are junk. Cheapest materials and cheapest subs. Nvhomes, Ryan,ryland, toll, whatever it is they put all the gingerbread to lure innocents in to buy the house but if you research you'd be amazed. I built for all of them in my area and I would never buy one. Interior walls 24" oc, Thermopylae sheathing, no top plates on walls just a connector. I'd look towards a smaller custom builder locally, small guys typically put out a better product

4. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Not familiar with the builder in question, but CWN has a Good point re: local builders. In any case, the super is the one that can make or break the quality of a home. If i built 8' walls that were 3/4" out of plumb, I' would have been eith fired, or would have had to rebuild them, and 24" o.c. for interior walls, :Puke:
    never, always 16" o.c.. i would seriously ask around for referrals for a local builder...Get 3 references, then Call them, ask key ?'s, also get a builder you feel Comfortable with, having to put up with a GC is a pain.

Good luck

5. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I told you a year ago to move to DeLand. :Poke:

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Don't think that would pass code around here. I'm not a builder but I've spent a fair amount of time on construction sites, can't ever remember not seeing a top plate.

7. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

With the correct plate it will pass code. Second top plate is to secure intersecting walls, use a connecting plate and save a couple nickels on lumber. They also don't use corners, two blocks for nailers or drywall clips for corners. Nothing solid. Take a walk around a house and have a look, that's your best bet. Do your homework

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I actually kind of like Deland but they need to move the airport about 30 miles closer to it.

9. RR558

RR558 Well-Known Member

Ryland = shit