1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prescription eyeglass wearers......

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 18, 2013.

1. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in purchasing contact lenses and not having to pay for another exam/prescription can order from globallens.com in Vancouver, BC Canada. They ship to the US and BC no longer requires a prescription to purchase contact lenses. Shipping is $9.95 or free on orders over $150.

I've worn glasses/contacts since elementary school so I've probably put a few optometrists kids through college. My eyesight hasn't changed in over five years and was tired of getting popped almost $100/year for a contact lens prescription, on top of the cost of contacts.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hmm I like that. My eyesight hasn't changed in twenty years so yearly exams have been a waste.

3. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Eye glasses are OVER Priced, no matter where you go. I asked about Oakley sun glass rx, almost 600.00...I need a new rx, but I'm sick and tired of paying 500.00 every 2 or 3 yrs..and I get a discount..:mad:

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thank you

5. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

When I'm not wearing contacts, I wear a pair of these...... they kick ass:

Bellinger DK

t

6. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

That is a very cool site.

Like to see a pair up close though cause I know those are not inexpensive...:D

7. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Walmart and CostCo offer inexpensive glasses, if you know how to ask for them. For example, if you ask you will find that basic lenses for $19 and combo deals for $29~$39 for frames and lenses together.

8. Hammer 4

Yeah but, how well are the lenses crafted..? I've gotten some crappy lenses and had to send them back in so called 400.00 glasses.

9. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

In the past 10 years I have been using walmart and costco, I have gotten over 15+ pairs and one for my wife was not made correctly. CostCo fixed it and had a new pair in a few days.

I think walmart has a better selection of frames but CostCo's prices is a bit better.

In the end shop where you are comfortable with. I think with 75% of the public using corrective lenses of some sort, that eye glasses should be less expensive then they are.

10. Hammer 4

I'll have to check them out, if I can save 150.00 or more, it's worth a try..:D

11. Tony216

Tony216 Well-Known Member

My local mom and pop eyeglass place was WAY cheaper than the local box store. Shopping local can be great, if the local guys understand that your dollar is still worth a dollar to you.

I think my prescription sunglasses were $125 or so. They're far from Oakleys, but he was upfront on what frames/lens would be cheaper. It basically had to do with what frames they could make their own lenses for versus frames that the lenses had to be made by the manufacturer.

12. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

I've used Zenni, 39Dollarglasses, and Eyebuydirect and I've been very happy.
    This site has some good reviews and info on the online places.

13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I buy new every year. I have to I'm rough on them due to having to wear them all the time. Helmets kill glasses and I ride a lot so by years end they are shot.

So I enroll in my companies eye insurance. For me this works I get the eye exam free and up to $100 off frames. I usually go over on the frames and of course add ons to my lenses like scratch, progressive, no line bifocal and what not. I'm usually out about $80 to $100 a year.

Frames are nothing special no carbon fiber, titanium or anything like that just plain black plastic. They'll last the year and I can see fine. This has worked for me for the past 20 years I've been with the company. My cost on the insurance is about $3.64 a pay period and I can live with that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  14. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Clark Howard, the consumer guru with the radio show, swears by some Chinese company he gets his glasses from. It only takes about 2 weeks or so, and according to him, they're better quality than the lenscrafters stuff. Google his name and find his website, and it's on his website. I think he was paying like $29-49 for progressives, or some insane price like that.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Might not be the best for everyday wear around the office but for outdoor activities these are by far the best I've found; currently have about a half dozen pairs in various configurations. I do a lot of work on the water where the sun/wind protection is key. Also do a fair bit of chainsawing in the woods, where the shatterproof thing is good. They offer the auto-tint lenses and there's no vignetting around the edges with the curved lenses. If you're going to spend a few bucks on glasses, they might as well be "bombproof" Highly recommended.
    http://www.wileyx.com/index.aspx

16. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have some research to do.... :beer: