1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS coverage of AMA...Sucks

Discussion in 'General' started by dragon, Sep 18, 2013.

1. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

What's the deal with CBS? What broadcast genius decided to pair Scott Russel with a 70 year old dude as a color commentator, who knows nothing about the sport. He is...dare I say...much more painful to listen to than Ralph She-heen. Didn't think that was possible. I was very wrong. I guess CBS is trying to get that all important 70 and older demographic drawn into the swell sport of motorcycle racing.

2. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Dude.... they could have Daffy Duck commentating... I dont care. Just get someone that knows how to direct and produce TV. It would be nice to see more than the 3 lead bikes in the broadcast. Oh, and learn how to deal with a red flag situation so your broadcast can end on time, and not be cut off. Chet - please, hire a producer.

3. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

I think they are generally doing a good job overall, but Paul Page has sucked as a motorsports announcer all the way back to the 80s doing ChampCar. He knows absolutely nothing about motorcycles, and it's obvious. Why did they get rid of Johnathan Green?

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Paul Page is an excellent commentator... just not when it comes to motorbike racing.

This all comes back to Chet Burks Productions. IMHO, the subpar broadcasts produced by Chet Burks Productions over the years have done more damage to the sport than any other contributing factor. They are 100% amateur hour.

Look at their website - straight from circa 2003.

5. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

Jonathan Green was in Turkey doing WSBK.

6. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I think Paul Page is a great commentator for car racing. He has a lot of experience and considering the fact that he is absolutely novice to the sport we all love, he is at least not too awful considering that. His car racing experience helps.

But, I would rather have Ralph as Ralph doesn't ask what I would call "stupid questions" like Paul does. But at least Paul is asking good questions to help the new viewer and what maybe they would ask and I think Scott does a good job answering that. I example the Cardenas coming out of a corner and the bike out of shape. Paul was blown away and asked what was going on. Scott explained and I thought it was well done.

I do think CBS needs to get something done with the HD. It feels less than HD, but better than not. Is it just me or am I spoiled on MotoGP and WSBK coverage?

Also, get Danielle Teal looking better. She is amazing looking and they have her in that shit polo shirt and hair up. Let her look more along the lines of Erin Bates. Can still be authentic and do a great job reporting, but have a little more sex appeal.

Finally, yes... They need to follow further back in the fields for the 600 races. But, in Superbike there's not much more going on. We got to see the fight for 5th last week and it was a snooze fest. Watching the race for second was MUCH better.

Again, I think Paul is OK. Not good or great. He is simply just enough. But get someone that can do the narrations that we get at the start of the shows. Paul is terrible. The audio is bad also. It just can be exciting and pump up viewers and yet it has this old and shitty feel.

Hey, it's better than nothing. But, it needs some work. It really does show that SPEED had good production value that we are seriously missing right now.

I say give the events to OTT and have them do the production. Their vids are amazing, inspirational and well done.

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

My only problem is, I paid for this channel to watch the races. Dont tell me now that not all races will be shown. BULLSHIT!

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Fellas, it's America. Whining about the quality of broadcast for a niche market is pointless.

If the organizers and promoters of the sport can't find a way to increase mass appeal here it's going to stay that way. That's what Roger Edmonson was trying to do. He failed miserably in just about every way possible, but that's the problem he was trying to solve. Just because he lacked the ability to solve the problem doesn't mean the problem can't be solved.

If there was mass appeal the major networks would be tripping over each other trying to win the rights to broadcast the stuff, and the broadcast quality would quickly approach that of NASCAR.

It is ludicrous to expect business-savvy producers to throw that kind of production wampum at broadcasting a sport that has proven through the decades to be (at best) a niche market in our culture. I'd wager 75% of the people who actually own and ride motorcycles in this country would be much more likely to recognize Jeff Gordon's face rather than Josh Hayes.

9. I agree. And that is a damn shame.

It is one thing that the general public has absolutely no clue about roadracing. But people who actually ride sportbikes, have no clue about it.

There was an experiment on another forum a few years ago, back when Mladin and Spies were battling each other every weekend. When their faces were shown, it was amazing how many people had absolutely no idea who they were.

And we are talking about people on a sportbike-only forum.

If WE either arent exposed to it enough, or just dont give enough of a shit about it, how can we expect the sport to catch on with the general public?

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Not this discussion again.

Jonathan Green had other committments. He was great when they had him. Hopefully he'll be back more regularly next year.

11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

:stupid:

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Rubber Footpegs Bitches!!

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I bet if your boss gave you guys a 20% raise, you would complain about that too. Friggin' bunch of crybabies.

14. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I like the CBS coverage. Also Like all the "sides" they give you, small rider interviews and info on the bikes and stuff. All around its pretty good.

15. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

+1. It's cool that they're expanding pit lane coverage as well, talking to crew chiefs, etc. And I think Teal's getting better every weekend - her walkback with Hayes after the red flag was something you wouldn't normally see, and it showed the frustration of the situation very well.

I'd go so far as to say they should even considering throwing Greg White into the commentary mix - he's very knowledgeable and would bounce well off Russell, imo.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And, compared to the first broadcast, the crew members are now giving MUCH better interviews. Few of them still have the deer-in-the-headlights look on camera.

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

IIRC, it was Chet Burkes Productions then as it is now.

18. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

I guess some of you don't realize that on Spanish broadcasts (and probably others) the announcers have to throw in advertisements during their regular race call.

Example: "Checa lowsides into the gravel and dusts himself up nicely. Speaking of dust, try new (insert Spanish equivalent of Pledge) to bring back the glow to your dining room table."

Just a reminder for the 'grass is always greener' crowd on here...

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Whatever. Settle for mediocrity and that's what you're gonna get.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bitch about it enough and turn off your friends who are potential fans and you'll have nothing.

Until there is more money to pay for better stuff I'm ecstatic at mediocrity because I know for a fact the only other option right now is no coverage.