1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey AMA Your Jump Start Rule is STUPID.

Discussion in 'General' started by Britt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

There has to be some sort of rule..Cross the white line, and you get penalized, just what that should be, I don't know.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Drag racers are reacting off seeing a light come on or off, much like road racers...

However drag races are decided by things that happen in a matter of seconds and every millisecond is crucial.

I'm torn on this, on one hand I believe if they remain in the confines of the box no penalty should be assessed. On the other hand the rule says no movement, Josh Hayes is by far the most impressive rider in the paddock to me but maybe he needs to re-evaluate his starting technique until a more reasonable rule is being enforced. JMO

3. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

I'd think Hayes should call AARP

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: AMA/DMG is still a cluster f.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They need to just standardize this kind of stuff with WSBK and MotoGP. It'll help to legitimize the series if more of the rules are the same.

6. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

You guys must not be reading the same posts I am. I don't see anyone saying they don't understand the rule or that it is not evenly enforced. They're just saying the rule, the way that it is written and enforced now, is stupid. Which it is.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

But they move before the light changes, they have to for those precious milliseconds. I watched the start over and over on the DVR. He didn't do anything that should have caused a penalty.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah. He kind of shifted back then forward a little as he got his body into position to start. I think the movement was human powered, not bike powered.

9. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

If a bike is rolling while all other non rolling competitors are not rolling, whether its an inch or a millimeter, the roller has an advantage. Way too fucking simple.

10. ROSS08

ROSS08 Active Member

Is there an way for Hayes to protest the penalty?

11. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

WERA RULEBOOK

f) Jumping the start: A minimum of two WERA Officials must call a jumped start. In a heat race a one-lap penalty will be assessed. In a sprint final, or an endurance race, the offending rider or team will be notified via a meatball flag at start/finish signifying they have been assessed a stop and go penalty. The meatball flag will be shown until the starter is satisfied the rider has had ample opportunity to see it. This is strictly at the discretion of the starter and is not a protestable issue. Should the offending rider or team fail to comply with the stop and go penalty within two laps of being notified, the rider or team will be penalized one lap in the final official result. Definition of a jumped start: Any movement after the 1 board has been displayed and prior to the Green Flag or Light.

Last time I checked "any movement" means ANY FUCKING MOVEMENT.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

The rule isn't rolling...it is MOVEMENT...up down sideways...NO ADVANTAGE.

Just unload the forks...Wiggle the front end...5 second penalty.

Yeah Way To FUCKING SIMPLE. It is STUPID.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

motogp has launch control.

the ama rule isnt about the racers. its about the ama. thats the problem. its got nothing to do with making it fair. if its about rolling out of the box, make the box smaller.

i hate starting at the penalty line in dt

14. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I like the Speedway rules...You touch the tape or fall down, you are done...no second chance.

None of this "I tried to gain an advantage on the start but got caught, can I have a second chance?"

or my favorite..."I have fallen down and brought out the red flag...will everyone stop and wait for me so I can have another chance?" :rolleyes:

JMO

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

scratching my head at the wording of this.

I don't know what happened and didn't follow it - I gather that Hayes got a jump start penalty and lost the race to Herrin because of it.

However, I thought that Hayes was pretty much so far ahead in the points by now that he could just stop showing up to races and he'd still win the #1 plate.

Am I mistaken in that regard?

17. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

Zremember a few years back, the dreaded Pace Car starts? I hate the rule too, but at least it ain't that crap rolling start shit again.

18. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

yes...he was 3rd going into this round

19. RevRacing

RevRacing Well-Known Member

Uh, no.

20. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

all this talk about movement...Im going back to the pooping thread