Syria-- In or Out

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by panthercity, Sep 4, 2013.

?

Should we attack Syria?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2013.
  1. Hell yeah!

5.0%
  2. Hell no!

95.0%
  1. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

my vote is to leave them to their own fate. they will hate us no matter what. if we arm them, then some American will eventually die by those arms.

if the UN votes to act, then we should act with them, as is our mandate. as for Obama, there is nothing he can do that will make him out to be correct in the eyes of his detractors, or even his own party by now. I'm just glad we haven't pulled the shock and awe trigger yet

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Unfortunately if it doesn't involve talking heads, celebrities gone wild or reality TV odds are we'll never get to see it here - which really is a shame. I'd love to see it.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I actually thought of you while watching it. Really great stuff. Scary too. I mean, they may not be Al Qaeda, but it takes a massive set to trust people like that not to hold you hostage or kill you. I don't know how journalists do this job.

4. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Over the last few days I am shocked as to how dumb Kerry is coming across. Yesterday he's saying how the military strike on Syria is going to be "incredibly small" and now today he's saying ""Nothing focuses the mind like the prospect of a hanging," with regards to the deal Putin is lining up....

What a waffle....

oops, SPC, you beat me to it...

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Kerry is a sack of crap, always has been and always will be. He's only 1 / 4 as intelligent or capable as his immediate predecessor. Say whatever you want about Hillary being an evil banshee, but she's smarter and has more spine than Barry and Kerry put together. I saw her offering her opinion on the situation in what appeared to be a press conference, that can mean only one thing: Banshee's running in 2016.

7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

He really comes across like a mindless idiot. God, I can't stand the Banshee....shivers....

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

He comes across as a mindless idiot because that's exactly what he is. Why they made him Secretary of State I have no idea. Maybe Obama wanted a controllable tool?

I'll bet you one thing, Putin and the Banshee are going to get along famously.

9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Idiots like to surround themselves with idiots so they don't get outshown. I can see Obama and Kerry sitting in a room alone. "I'm dumber than you are."...."No you aren't, I'm much dumber than you any day of the week." "You dumb ass, I'm the dumbest!.....guffaw.....burb...."

10. Suburbanrancher

No doubt - thankfully there's still quality journalists out there willing to take those risks so the stories are told straight, and outlets willing to broadcast the information.

What's always interesting is how Europe and other parts of the world continue to remain much better informed about world events then the average American. It's like the media outlets elsewhere have a better understanding of their responsibility to relay a certain percentage of relevant information to their population versus the mind-numbing, advertising-dollar driven garbage we're bombarded with here on a regular basis. Only in America does the antics of pop culture trash take precedent over real events that have an actual impact on lives.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With the internet there is no way in hell the US is underinformed.

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I don't know man, when Cyrus is Twerking there's a bunch of people that can't pay attention to anything political :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

People choosing to be uninformed has nothing to do with reporting here vs elsewhere :D

They all do what sells, right now real news sells in Europe more than here.

14. Suburbanrancher

It's not even that so much - though the quality of information over 'net seems more questionable then not anymore.

No, what I mean for example is when I visit Europe, I can flip the dial in the evening and there will often be a good program or documentary on a major channel about real world happenings. Their broadcasting isn't overly geared towards entertainment at the expense of relevance (if that makes sense).

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And that is what sells there. Granted, you can flip the channel and find it here too - on any number of channels.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's not that clear-cut. You would be surprised but some of the shit that gets high ratings here. The highest-rated network broadcasts a gigantic amount of garbage. Their CEO got in trouble a few years ago for saying that his job was to sell available brain space to advertisers.

Luckily, there are alternatives. One is the network of public channels that are much less dependent on ratings. Programs still face pressure to compete with private television and get canceled if they lag too far behind, but there is a stated commitment to education, culture, information, and to stay away from garbage and reality TV.

Another alternative is a premium subscription network that's pretty expensive, but less dependent on ratings and advertising (there are no commercial interruptions during programs). They put out really good documentaries, information magazines and investigative reports. You might ask why the average person spend good money to get the family of channels. The answer: soccer. They own the rights to the French championship. They also got Formula One this year.

There is one non-cable network that still manages to put out quality informative content every Sunday night (including the piece I am talking about in this thread). I'm wondering how to do it. I suspect advertising on their mindless content six days a week must be subsidizing the Sunday night lineup to some extent. That said, one of those in the night programs often covers trashy topics (swingers, nudists, drug use, etc.) that probably draw some large numbers.

17. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Wonder what the Obamer will have to say tonight.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wonder if I'll ever care? :D

19. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

:crackup:

Hey, I don't have cable so that's the best comedy I get!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aw damn, I am so sorry to hear that. Steal a netflix login from someone!