Shops? FZR 400 Top End Job?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mark5, Nov 16, 2003.

1. mark5

mark5 Member

Getting ready for next seasons WERA races. Looking for a good (reasonable) shop to freshen up the top end. Hone & rings, valve guides, valve grind, lap & new gaskets. I've done this work in my younger days, but now my real job gets in the way! I live 30 miles west of Scranton, in northeast PA, and can deliver 3 or 4 hours away.

Thanks for any info
    Mark

2. The Kid

The Kid Well-Known Member

Roger shepard is a Yamaha expert and has done hundreds of these heads. He is the man to go to about fzr's. I will PM you his number.

3. The Kid

wait a minute why cant i PM you?

4. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Has this motor had work before. If not, a suggestion. Do the bottom end also. That's usally the weakest link in these motors. Rebuilding the top end can add power, but stress the bottom. And remember, those pesky oil jets may need attention.

5. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I had my FZR top end done at Peachtree near atlanta several years ago. But you are not far from Speedworks....they have worked on a FZR or two before.

6. mark5

mark5 Member

Top End

Thanks for all the info guys.

Kid- Got my PM on now. Maybe you can get me Roger Shepard's number.

Lee- I bought the 400 with 4300 miles on it. I don't think it has been worked on. I'd like to get the top end freshened this season. If santa treats me well, maybe the bottom end too! Heard all about the loose oil jets.

Later
    Mark

7. The Kid

Roger Shepard owned Peachtree Performance up until a few years ago. He is the MAN when it comes to Yamahamas. And I would trust any of his work.

8. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Speedwerks did a 2mm over Job on my old Fizzer. Nice work:up: