1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The stupid is strong on Craigslist

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Aug 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Not where I am :)
    No sale tax on used vehicles here.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

From I understand if the MSO states "Off Road Use" they will send you on your merry way. "No title needed."

Essentially they don't want to give guys that want to convert their CR/YZ/KX/RM into a street legal bike a easy way to do so. YMMV.

3. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

I realize you guys are talking about titles but as far as craigslist stupidity...

I sold my 1988 Toyota Pickup on craigslist.

My ad was very detailed, pictures etc etc, in a nutshell the body(frame and cab corners were excellent) was rusting off the thing but it still started and ran great with 230k on the clock. I understood the bodywork was extensive but it was a great beater.

I cant tell you how many phone calls I got with people asking me if it ran, repeatedly asking me if it ran as I described it further during the phone calls. I really wanted to say "No. It doesnt actually run. I plan on having my friend lay under the truck to make noises and shake it when you come to look at it so I can trick you into buying it."

I mean seriously?? Why would I possibly tell someone it runs only to have them show up and say "Oh yea I lied about a little detail, it doesn't run."

4. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

Just say yes :)

5. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Don't ever try to sell a Marshall on there.'Bout went full tilt alchy after that.Stupidity is more plentiful than hydrogen on there :rolleyes:

6. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

In Arizona, any "Private Party" sales do not have any "Use" taxes applied. Probably the best thing about Arizona and buying used bikes.

I always want a title with any bike so I am not stuck paying the "Use" taxes from the MSO Paperwork.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'll take that under advisement. :moon:

8. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Exactly, no title means no green sticker in Florida which means you ain't riding it anywhere except private property. The only reason someone doesn't have a title is it's either stolen or they never paid it off. Or you bought it from someone in one of those two scenarios. Every once in a while it's a legit deal and it's just a lost title from three transactions ago. So, a hassle. :)

9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Or some of the idiots I had to deal with selling my 98 dakota. Made a laundry list of its issues that need fixing (every one I knew about). Even had it listed way under KBB (asking $1000obo). Funny how many people think they will get a like new, runs perfect vehicle for a grand or less. Hell one guy actually called me a liar since he "claimed" dodge never made dakotas with manual transmissions and I had it converted.:rolleyes: Then the numbnuts who say they will only pay 100 for it. Or say it needs painting first (yeah like I'm gonna spend $3000 on a paint job on a $1000 truck). Uh its smokes (read the ad moron, I stated that).

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'll remember that when I sell a dirtbike in Florida.

And you're wrong. In some areas, when you buy a dirtbike brand new, even paying cash at the dealer, you're given a certificate of origin from, in this case, Yamaha. Neither stolen, nor "didn't pay it off".

I suppose we'll argue about titling and taxes on salvage bikes next.

As you can see from others in this thread, I'm not alone in my perspective on this situation. In many areas, you don't get a title, and being that it's an offroad vehicle, there's not really a "registration" for it.

11. I'm with you. I have nothing on my dirt bike. Ran the vin with the local sheriffs office, came back clean and I bought it. No hassles, no bullshit. Not everything is stolen because it doesn't have an mso or title. I wouldn't hesitate unless I was in nazifornia and needed a green off road sticker to ride it anywhere some tree hugging jackass was trying to save every squirrels fart in a jar.

12. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I live in TN, and every new bike or ATV I have purchased came with a title from the DOT with the TDS registration sticker. Even my sons JR 50 and Polaris 90. They were titles, not MSOs. Never had a problem selling a dirt bike without one, all that is required is a bill of sale. Guess people are just more worried about buying a stolen bike on Craigslist these days.

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I'm correct in Florida which is why I said "in Florida". I don't know other states policies so didn't comment on them, just what I know here.

14. povol

povol Well-Known Member

I have a Tennessee title to my dirtbike. Did you pay taxes when you bought it?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah could be. Other states have an off road title. GA may not. Like I said, too many damn differences, I'm not sure which state does what any more :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Dart prolly bought it in VA then brought it to TN which adds another level of difference to the whole thing.

17. Yes, the stupid is strong on Craigslist - and in this case, the strong stupid is...you :Poke:

Tennessee requires that a TN certificate of title (not a MCO) be issued for off-road motorcycles that were manufactured after 1983. Without the title, you can't get the ID sticker that allows the bike to be ridden on public trails or in off-road parks.

That's why every single person who's called you has asked about it. That should have been a clue :D

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You have the title for that Marshall?

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why do you have to be so difficult all the time?
    :D

20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Selling XX, 400 bucks....

"Yo guy, how much!?"

They dont even bother reading the damn add!

Sometimes i think its better i post a youtube video,

the TLDL is starting to include descriptions of items for sale.

"Yo guy, thats more than two sentences, i aint readin' that"