1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable TV alternatives?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitz, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Looked around for a while and haven't really seen much in the way of personal experiences so here goes. Me and the wife are getting sick of paying to watch commercials, I use the internet all the time and will be keeping that but kicking cable tv to the curb, but I have no idea what to do as an alternative. She's on board with this idea as we only watch a few shows and at dinner time. Whats the best way to go about this?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Good timing on this. We're looking at getting rid of Fios/ cable, the cost has gotten out of hand.

3. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

Dave,

What have your experiences been with fios, from initial service to now that has caused that?

It just recently got rolled out to my street here, and currently being with Time Warner, the grass always seems greener.

From what their website says, i can have the same TV package and slightly faster internet for $30 bucks less a month. But i guess that changes over time?

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Put up a decent outdoor antenna for free-over-the-air TV from your local channels, use the Internet for everything else.

I've been doing that for years. Saves a ton of cash.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Fios blows away most other providers. The problem comes in when you bundle. It might say it's $80 (or whatever) a month for tv and intragores but it soon tops out over $110 when you add in the local tax, al gore tax, freeloader tax, fees and anything else they can sneak on.

No intention of ever getting rid of Fios internet, the phone and cable costs are what has me screaming and doing crotch chops.

6. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

I don't have a internet ready TV, so I need a top box like ROKU, Playstation, etc.
    I have the ROKU HD box http://roku.com/ for about 2 years now. You have 750+ channels on it. Plus with the Netflix subscription, you get almost all your tv shows and movies. With NO commercials. Every episode from the start up to last year. You also get new shows like House of Cards, Copper, and a ton of others.
    I know there are alot of other options out there, this is what we used and we are happy with it.
    An antenna to get the local channels is a good idea also. If you are close enough, you could get by with an indoor one. This might help you choose which one. http://www.digitalhdsource.com/dtvsoanmap.html

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm thinking about this...

Directv is now approaching $110 a month, and I have no premium channels, and my internet is $65 via cable on top of that.

I'm trying to make a list of what I watch and what I'd use to see if I can do it. Local channels are kind of a must for news/weather, etc. And I'd like to be able to watch NFL games. Everything else, I can watch via Hulu, Netflix, or some other way, I think.

If I can save $1000 or more a year, that's pretty major.

One problem I need to solve is pausing/recording OTA local channels. I'm not trying to build another PC for the living room just yet.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

We've gone about a year with a Roku box, streaming Netflix, amazon prime, and Hulu plus.

Yearly cost is about $300 including the movies we rent (although most are free between the Netflix and amazon prime accounts)

I miss easy access to sports, including racing, but it allows great excuses to go to the bar.

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Man I would love to cut the cord but I would start getting the shakes if I couldn't watch all the racing live. If it was just roadracing I would get the motogp.com subscription but I watch mx/sx and a lot of car racing. If they were available next day I could do that but I don't even know if you can get really any sports without cable?

10. spode

spode Well-Known Member

I got a Roku 3 two weeks ago and signed up for Netflix. Still got the Direct TV. Have barely used the dish since. I'm digging my Roku. Next on the chopping block is to get rid of that damn Verizon bill.

11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I went ultimate flip out a few months ago after a CS issue with Comcast and cancelled everything, everything. I was paying $146.00 / mo for internet and cable and no matter what package I had it was never the one I needed to watch racing year after year.

New jewish plan , burning up the tethering on my tmobile cell phone as full internet for the house and a combo of streaming sites and Netflix account the last girl that was over left logged in on my PS3. I now watch more tv as I watched all of Breaking Bad , True Blood, Hell on Wheels, and now starting Californication. Current Data usage via cell, 59.4 GB .

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

we have the little digital reciever for local channels but we get some more channels as well.shows that we like from cable,we can get the dvd free for 21 days from the local library,once the season is done.its incredible how fast shows get onto dvd anymore.as for racing,ive always liked wsbk most out of all of them.if you go onto wsbk's website you can watch the races for free.yeah we discovered all of this when the economy tanked hard,haha,and directv was pissing me off with constant increases.so at this point i pay very little for anything.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Over the last year, I've found reading books as the best alternative to cable TV

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That explains why it's been so quiet here.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

were the heck can you watch the races on the site? I can't find it..

16. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

So if I buy a Roku box I get 750 channels and I don't have to pay a monthly fee unless I subscribe to Netflix or something?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Comcast for the internet, Roku for Netflix, HuluPlus and others, Magic Jack for the phone. $55/month instead of $155. News is available online.

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I see Roku has CBS sports in their lineup...

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

on the main page,go to gallery videos.there will be these 1min 30 secondish interviews with the racers after a race,stick out the interview and races open up after.im not too computer savvy,so i dont know how to do a link thingy,but try what i said and you'll see.it made me love worldsbk over motogp even more being able to see some racing again!

20. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

They say 750 channels. True if you combine all the tv shows and figure all the channels they played on. It's still more choices than you ever had before. That's for sure!