1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandit 1200S

Discussion in 'General' started by B. Myers, Aug 16, 2013.

1. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

Sold my TL cause it was just too cramped. 40 miles and I needed to stretch, getting old sucks. :eek:

Looking for a little more comfy ride that can still get out on the back roads, maybe do a little touring. (On the cheap- cause two teenage daughters take all available $$)

Motors in the Bandits are pretty much bomb proof from what I have read here, being the old air cooled GSXR motors. I found a 2003 with 40k on it for $3k..seems a touch high on price and miles, but wanted the BBS opinion on the Bandit 1200S.

Thanks all...

2. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I'd rather have the Kawasaki ZRX-12. They are timeless classics and much better looking bikes. I wish I still had mine.

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I heard that you can make those haul ass pretty easily!

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I have a zrx. It is fun because it is so comfy to ride, but my friend's bandit always felt faster, stock for stock.

5. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Had an 01. Same bike as an 03... Phenominal bike. Very strong at 120hp, comfortable, and very stable at higher speeds...

I would hesitate for a second to buy another one... And yes, it only takes a jet kit and exhaust and BAM!!!!

[​IMG]

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Nazif, you and boccarp make me want to join OWS. :mad: Boccarp has....one of each. You have one of each in carbon fiber. :D

7. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Well the ZRX is well neutered by Kawasaki, you have to reinstall all the ZX11 parts, especially the 6 speed, to get it right. The Bandit is a GSXr base, a more modern mill and stronger stock.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have a '98. I love it.

9. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

You may also want to think about a 1st gen FZ-1? A tad sportier than the Bandit but still all day comphy, fully adjustable suspension.

10. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I put 40k miles on a 2001. Absolutely in love with the motor. Hated to sell it but too many bikes at the time and not enough room. You'll need this website: www.holeshot.com First drop in perfect jet kit I've ever seen. Along with a pipe, and timing advance woke it up nicely. Suspension isn't great but with new springs and a Busa shock it was pretty decent.

I'd buy another one if I had room.

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

People do busa front end conversions on them right?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You can put in Racetech springs and a better shock and be fine.

13. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

but it looks purdy with those usd forks! :D

14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Been a while since I've been able to whore my old bike pics out! Another Bandit thread! I built this one several years back. Stump pulling motor, that bike always made me smile!

[​IMG]

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Dale Walker is da man!

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

17. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

My 01. Pig heavy, thirsty as hell, but beastly strong engine and handles...ok. :D I do have a 'busa shock for it but not installed. Was going to do springs also. I suck at carbs, and it has carbs. Would love something fuel infested.
    I wouldn't pay more than 2k for mine (ok maybe $2500), and it's near perfect with under 8000 miles. Keep shopping. The ZRX seems to be another $1-2000 or more for the same year and condition.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  18. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

I have an ignition advancer and jet kit if you need it.

19. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

thanks guys...some sweet looking Bandits!!

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Anybody have pics of bandits with USD forks, radial brakes, and a tail conversions?