1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new york safety track "safe" yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by jimfowler, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Yeah, I'm going up that weekend to help out. Curious to see it in person.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You seem to have a thing for 'em while riding dirty bikes if I remember right.

Even if I don't it is still funny. :D

3. :stupid:

4. What prize do they win for most ironic track name?:D

Free tree removal, hopefully. The layout does look pretty fun, but a fast layout with tons of traction, and a lack of runoff, is less than ideal.

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Only once... I clipped it hard too... Helmet was sideways when I got up. :D

I'm just glad Scott was leading at that point, so the camera was pointed the wrong way.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

:crackup::crackup::beer::bow:

7. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Ill be up on the 11th as well, hopefully my slow-ass wont get into too much trouble!

8. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

More than one person has commented to me that although they removed some trees, they didn't bother to remove the stumps... That would be something worth verifying when you're there...

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That'd be like removing the barbed wire but leaving the land mines.

Look at how safe we made the minefield!!! you won't tear your pants anymore!

10. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Once the layout was confirmed & they showed the first layer of pavement down, i emailed & asked ..someone.."hey, in the counterclockwise configuration, there is a downhill right hander where if you went off, you could easily go down in a steep decline, like a ditch. At best, you pound into the forthcoming steep incline & at worst, you hit the trees at the top of the incline".

The response i got was "oh, you'd never make it that far to cause an issue".
    My response was "really?" & i put any thought of riding there out of my head since.

The guy thinks that a crash means that the asphalt & the side of the motorcycle meet & then you slide off. He doesn't get that two riders can bounce off one another with all wheels on the ground & one or both could ride off as a consequence, right down the decline, right up the incline & right into the trees.
    Every turn on every racetrack being built in modern times should be treated with that kind of scrutiny. These guys dropped the ball. They just made up the track the way they felt is should go through those woods. They really needed to consult a pro & i can't say it looks like they did. Another huge waste...

11. streetrocket22

streetrocket22 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not as fast as a good number of ya'll, however, there were a few spots at NYST that made me a touch nervous as far as runoff goes. That being said, I absolutely loved the track, the elevation changes coupled with the super smooth/sticky surface and overall layout make it, IMHO, an absolute blast. My idea of a fun track though may be a bit skewed, as I think Nelson Ledges is a super fun little track too.

All in all, if you get the chance to spend a day at NYST, do it. It's well worth in my opinion. :up:

12. racertex

racertex vintage dude

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa! Don't think it's safe, then don't ride it.

Don't think Mosport is safe, then don't ride or race it.

Most of you effing pussies don't know what you're missing.

<drops mic>

13. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

It's safe to walk on. Hey Tex, what are you riding around there? 1000? 750?

14. Wow. I was almost being sarcastic with my previous post when I said it appears they were like "eh, that is good enough". It is sad to realize that is basically how it went down.

I know how far you can go and what can happen when you leave the track at triple digit speeds, on two wheels, under power. 5 months later, im still recovering from it, and I came out pretty damn good. I can't imagine what kind of shape I would be in had the same thing happened there.

There is absolutely no way in hell I will ever ride that track unless they increase the run-off.

15. :rolleyes:

16. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

I would never do that track because it's too far away.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So I just got back from NYST, some of my impressions

1. This place is NOT intended to be a racetrack. From the time it was built they stipulated that it wasn't going to be used as such. And I agree with this, I would not want to compete in a race on this course. There are a few places where if you go in to stuff somebody you could easily punt them off track.

2. Having said that, this track is SERIOUSLY fun. To go with a handful of friends and ride it for what it is, you will have an absolute blast. It is by far the most technical track I have run in a long time. Been a while since I had so many "oh shit" moments right off the bat at a new track. But there are quite a few corners that can catch you out if you're snoozing until you get the hang of the place. But once you do it really flows quite nicely.

3. Every picture and video you have seen simply does not do the ACTUAL elevation changes of this track justice. From top to bottom its 450 ft of change. But the rises and drops are quite rapid. Some corners like T16/17 leading up to the last turn when running CCW you'll literally feel the blood being pulled from your head for a split second when you run through there at a good clip. I watched dozens of youtube vids and none prepared me for that first session. It literally feels like you're on a roller coaster.

4 - The lack of curbing is definitely sketchy and makes me a tad bit hesitate to really shoot for those inside apexes or ride it out to the outside on exits, but for the time being you just need to back it down a couple notches.

But like I said, take the place for what it is (NOT a sanctioned race) and it will be a guaranteed good time.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You were right. The track looks like great fun, but it also looks like something that would have been built circa 1957. Even if you don't give a shit about rider safety, why wouldn't you build the track to a safety standard that would allow it to be used in timed events? They're limiting their revenue opportunities for no reason. It would have cost a bit more to design and build proper safety features, but it'd be trivial next to the cost of building the entire track in the first place. I would ride it for a track day. Competition, no.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So what's safe about this place?
    Is it just a ride through some loop of twisties minus the cops, gravel, wet leaves and kids chasing balls? Is that what's making it safe?

20. I don't get the "it's safe for a trackday but not a race approach." When I go to a trackday, I'm trying to improve on my pace, so I'm riding as fast as I can most of the time. I've been to trackdays where I've actually improved on my best lap at that track. I've also seen people get taken out by no fault of their own at track days, and have seen people at track days run off the track and use up most or all of the available runoff. If it's not safe enough to race on, it's not safe for a trackday, IMO.